Costing methods: which is (are) the most useful for self-builders?

ToughButterCup

A few people have been talking about their build costs recently.   ( @ProDave , @nod,  among others) All of them use the cost per square meter measure. When I used the same measure in a comment on an unrelated thread, I got a one word answer as to why the measure was poor . ' ...Geometry... '

That one word answer sparked my interest (as do many of the author's posts).

I poked around in the list of RICS measurement methods, and bumped into this document about valuing individual new homes. I'm aware of the conflict between value and cost. But the point made in the introduction to that document talks about the need for consistency of measure : what the teaching profession might call working towards formal units of value, rather than informal ones..

Geometery has to play a role in deriving build costs. But so do many other factors. And geometery can be complex : square meterage , simple.

Is cost per square meter despite its simplicity the only practicable cost measure? Or are there others we should consider?

Cost per square meter is a pretty good baseline figure. Building geometry does affect the cost but this can be factored in. We used to price steel building erection on a per tonne price plus a `buggeration` factor for restricted sites, difficult access, component complexity etc. plus any welding and on site fabrication etc.

As we did some very complex jobs the  base £/Tonne figure rarely worked out but did give a good start point.

The main thing that dictates cost is availability of laboure 

The hourly rates or price m2 paid on sites Count for very when it comes to self builders 

Trades or builders pricing for self builders Seem to just pluck a number out of the sky Depending on how busy they are 

Two friends of ours have just finished there third self build He’s a quantity surveyor with over 40 years experience dealing with very large building projects 

He openly admits he was miles out with the Labour

Two quotes from reputable builders came in at 420k A third over 500 k When the third was told he wouldn’t be getting the job 

He said ok I’ll match the other two 

I would say for the things that you can’t manage yourself 

Don’t underestimate the cost of the labour 

Costing the material are quite straightforward can can be done online 

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Are you talking about ...

Exactly Peter. The term is opaque.

It seems to me that the vast majority of self builders and every single architect I have spoken to , all cite a simple(istic ?)  measure : square meterage. And @SteamyTea has a point when he says it is a poor measure. But at least its consistent in its inaccuracy. I think the argument he might advance is that cost per square meter is a cloak under which a good deal can be hidden.

Rough but ready? 

1 minute ago, ToughButterCup said:

But at least its consistent in its inaccuracy.

Large difference in results between external and net internal measurements, and with PH type structures with possibly more complicated and costly external walls and the open plan design currently in vogue I still think the level of inaccuracy is so great that the parameters should be clearly defined.

I think for a self builder, pricing needs to be the sum of the individual components. It is not the same as a volume builder where they have different cost centres, multiple sites competing for resources, different finance models, a better working relationship with suppliers etc.

If a self builder aims to build at say £1500/m², and end up spending £1200, or £1800, it makes no difference, the house is built, they don't know the what they spent till the job is done.

And a self built house is never really finished anyway.

1 minute ago, ToughButterCup said:

So why don't we?  Ease ? Brevity? 

I would guess that 'professionals' probably all use the same method so don't think they have to define it. The problem is that, if for example, they use net internal area it doesn't take into account the differences with say PH wall construction but they just continue in the same old way, so it's probably laziness.

1 hour ago, nod said:

The main thing that dictates cost is availability of laboure 

The hourly rates or price m2 paid on sites Count for very when it comes to self builders 

Trades or builders pricing for self builders Seem to just pluck a number out of the sky Depending on how busy they are 

Two friends of ours have just finished there third self build He’s a quantity surveyor with over 40 years experience dealing with very large building projects 

He openly admits he was miles out with the Labour

Two quotes from reputable builders came in at 420k A third over 500 k When the third was told he wouldn’t be getting the job 

He said ok I’ll match the other two 

I would say for the things that you can’t manage yourself 

Don’t underestimate the cost of the labour 

Costing the material are quite straightforward can can be done online 

no need to be. Have a QS produce a quote from the plans, it will be down to the last screw. They will use industry standard times for laying 1m2 of bricks, stud, tile etc etc

banks use them to lend on so they are accurate enough.

11 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

no need to be. Have a QS produce a quote from the plans, it will be down to the last screw. They will use industry standard times for laying 1m2 of bricks, stud, tile etc etc

banks use them to lend on so they are accurate enough.

Spons ?

• Like 1