New member - good intentions

FM2015

Hi all,

I got reading the forum over Christmas and am finally saying "hello" after six weeks of voyeurism.

I can't hide from the fact that I am a long time ICF proponent and having been installing mostly one brand over the last 6/7 years.  It's all the company I work for does; ICF shells from ground to weather tight.

I'm here for two reasons.  The first is actually to provide a bit of support, expertise, terrible anecdotes in order to even out the playing field between self builders and the world of ICF obfuscation.

Second, if I make some contacts, expand the network, raise the profile, I'd rather do that here than on LinkedIn.

Hopefully this is okay with everyone.

Will gladly take any advice on content should Mr Undiplomatic wades in.

Cheers,

Dom

Nice starter for ten!

With regard to woodcrete, I'm not convinced it is the best system for our climate, waterproofing and making airtight are two areas which give me those concerns.  HOWEVER I'm pretty convinced that they can be achieved.  I am a fan of the spray membranes.  If they are as effective as they claim, the application is more tolerant of lesser quality installation.  IE a competent self builder can apply with a better success rate than some of the traditional membranes.

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

...  A few people on here have used it, but they tend to be one offs, so the next person that uses it seems to me, to be just reinventing the wheel.

By definition, self building is one-off ( the two notable exceptions on BH tend to support that rule)

In terms of wheel re-invention, thats exactly why I post about my ICF build : it might just lighten a self-builder's load. 

Totally open.  I've never used woodcrete and my opinion is based on what I've read in the most part.  My site experience is limited to a few days on a site pouring concrete and providing some kit.  It was a big site and hats off to the distributor who bagged the job.

The whole woodcrete process and to some extent the science of how it performs was totally alien to what I was used to.  I did a bit of research and came to a decision that I prefer the EPS options and have stuck with it.  Not that they a without issue!!!

Some blockies won't touch timber frame.  There is a skillset difference but some just put their eggs in one basket.  Probably bite me at some point!

I've had conversations with the guys at Passive Purple.  They do all kinds of spray membranes and I'm curious to see it used first hand in any form of ICF.  They're YouTube channel is good viewing, not sure I'd do that to my Audi!

Yes, @FM2015, woodcrete ( the generic name for Durisol I take it?) is leaky and does allow water into it, unless covered up properly

In terms of water tightness, Durisol - on its own - is a bit like  a Land Rover 90 : water leaks out of it as fast as it leaked in in the first place. If you don't control ingress - water is on its way in.  I have a small  Piggery (now used as a wash-house and store) which has no cladding or water ingress control at all. It shows some evidence of damp having been there, but for a utility room its fine. Cover it with Cloeber Permo Forte Quattro and some nice open cladding and the problem will disappear. Well, it has in the main house.

In terms of air tightness, I think I have slipped up: better said, not had the bandwidth to focus on that issue as closely as I would have liked. Time will tell. My office (where I am now) is in part of the house where there is no outside or inside parging or plastering. I can actually feel the draft when the wind is in the right direction. No water ever gets to the office wall because it's under a large canopy (5m by 3m) . But the wind does whistle in. Leave the room, shut the door, and the rest of the house (fully parged and plastered)  is stiller, warmer, quieter. 

Sucking my teeth about the air test......?