Ground screws

fiaraziqbal

• 2 months later...
On 31/01/2021 at 17:21, tonyshouse said:

Dig out turf, paving slab on sand, few bricks in the middle of each - something similar worked for Victorian houses, relies on homogeneous ground and light loading s 

Thanks i am thinkig of just laying a slab, but i have come across these as its a high wind area such as the gripple anchor?

image.png.6ad25257238a4e8d3ca1f02f20c64e92.png

36 minutes ago, fiaraziqbal said:

Thanks i am thinkig of just laying a slab, but i have come across these as its a high wind area such as the gripple anchor?

image.png.6ad25257238a4e8d3ca1f02f20c64e92.png

Gimmicky and unnecessary, wether chains or wire ropes to anchor down, Dig a hole, wrap the chain or rope around a piece of tube/bar/scaff pole or even a brick or stone (be careful it wont slip off) bury it and compact the grount. this method has been used for centuries for ground anchoring 

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 11:50, fiaraziqbal said:

i am looking to use them to hold up a single story mobile home.

By hold up, do you mean act as a foundation or stop the mobile home being blown around - as in stable in a chirpy wind?

I ask because ground screws can be used for both. The difference is the price.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, markc said:

Gimmicky and unnecessary, wether chains or wire ropes to anchor down, Dig a hole, wrap the chain or rope around a piece of tube/bar/scaff pole or even a brick or stone (be careful it wont slip off) bury it and compact the grount. this method has been used for centuries for ground anchoring 

Ohhh thats a really good idea.  love chatting on this forum. thanks for the info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

By hold up, do you mean act as a foundation or stop the mobile home being blown around - as in stable in a chirpy wind?

I was looking at ground screws but the ground is glacial till under the top soil so that seems liek a no no.  have you used them before?

1 hour ago, ToughButterCup said:

was thinking of ground screws as a foundation but then thought of sitting the mobile home on peers and using anchoring points

maybe these and some span sets and webbing.

https://www.leachs.com/scaffold-fixings-anchor-testing/m16-scaffold-ring-bolts?code=AF-6140&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqY3b6_Dc7wIVjON3Ch3WWAsIEAQYByABEgLLyPD_BwE

Regards  James

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, fiaraziqbal said:

was thinking of ground screws as a foundation but then thought of sitting the mobile home on peers and using anchoring points

You will want some form of hardcore otherwise you will never even get it into place the wheels will just bog down in the ground.  If the ground can support the wheels then it can support the support piers.  Mine has a total of 12 support piers so the load is well spread.

Some 2" angle iron cut to a point should hammer into glacial tilt and be a good secure anchor to keep ith there when the wind blows.

• Thanks 1

On 01/04/2021 at 12:51, ProDave said:

You will want some form of hardcore otherwise you will never even get it into place the wheels will just bog down in the ground.  If the ground can support the wheels then it can support the support piers.  Mine has a total of 12 support piers so the load is well spread.

Some 2" angle iron cut to a point should hammer into glacial tilt and be a good secure anchor to keep ith there when the wind blows.

Thanks, i was reading your blog on your site and its its interesting.  DId you do all teh work yourself? its what i am looking to do and i like your PP plans, didi you DIY them?

1 hour ago, fiaraziqbal said:

Thanks, i was reading your blog on your site and its its interesting.  DId you do all teh work yourself? its what i am looking to do and i like your PP plans, didi you DIY them?

Yes PP plans were DIY, building warrant plans were professional.

I did all the digging for foundations then a builder poured the foundations, did the under building, built and erected the shell.  I took over again doing most of the work just employing a couple of people when needed, plasterer, tiler and a joiner for some kitchen work.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes PP plans were DIY, building warrant plans were professional.

I did all the digging for foundations then a builder poured the foundations, did the under building, built and erected the shell.  I took over again doing most of the work just employing a couple of people when needed, plasterer, tiler and a joiner for some kitchen work.

I am trying to go down the same path, managed the PP drawings and now looking to build temp accomodation on site, what did you guys do or was it close to home?

On 01/04/2021 at 12:51, ProDave said:

Wat were your support piers?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Piles of concrete blocks laid on the flat dry.  Final bit made up with bits of timber to pack to correct height to get 'van level.

I have head that you must put mortar between the blocks for the concrete piers? is that what you did?

If you are self building and have a temp cabin / static caravan then yes you don't want it to blow over in the wind if you are in a windy spot.

Depends on how long you need the cabin for. Say a year to two.. two winters. Here you can build some planters, fill them with soil and take ratchet straps over the roof. Pad the straps so you don't damage the roof thus can sell temp home on to another self builder with little if any loss if you look after it. You can build the planters on a pallet with a spreader board under, round which you put the strap. The strap does not rot as often they are nylon, and, as it is Easter at the moment you can decorate said strap with bunting or whatever takes your fancy.

The great thing here is that you can start to play with your plants, get them started, grow raddishes, herbs etc for fun, it can take the sting out of some builder problems, small daft things like this can motivate you to carry on. Some times when all is looking glum then you feel that you are making a start on the garden and eating you own food! Great for kids too!

As a rough guide if you live in a windy spot then you could get some 100 -150 kg of uplift per square metre of cabin roof area. Thus if you take a 3.0m wide cabin then you'll get about 0.5 x 3.0m x 150kg = 225 kg max per side per metre run. A planter ( 1.0 x 1.0 x 0.5 deep) weighs about 600 - 800 kg so if you site them at about 2.5 - 3.0m then you are on the ball park to holding everything down.

You can calculate the uplift wind forces on a temporary structure but there is a fair bit in it if you don't want an overly conservative design.

Oh, and back to the fun bit. It can lift the spirits to have planters etc and play about when you are stressed / knackered. With a leep of faith you can "almost" think.. like this is a camping / cheep holiday home in reverse. Enjoy the "glamping" as this can be part of the selfbuild experience that you will always remember.

Lastly in terms of the cabin settlng this is often less of an issue. A bit of hard core, a few slabs, monitor from time to time and jack / pack the legs if need be. Basically if the doors and windows start to jamb or you can see it running off on a spirit level then and re level. It's the wind uplift that is the dangerous bit!

All the best.

I used dry laid blocks on 18mm ply sheets to spread the load because the ground was wet when we moved the vans into position. The method of tying down is ground anchors (screws) and ratchet straps. All ok after gale force winds, but we are in a relatively sheltered position.

My post

• 1 month later...
On 01/04/2021 at 09:25, ProDave said:

For tie down I just hammered lengths of angle iron into the ground and strapped down to those with steel wire.  It has not blown over yet.

About to head down to steel merchants for a windturbine pole.  i assume you mean something like this?

image.png.756a7ba7ff75e9cc356fe1a8220d3caf.png