Best extraction for island hob with 3m ceilings

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and really hoping to get some sound advice on what type of hob extraction would be most effective for the size and height of our newly constructed kitchen.  I've looked at previous threads on this but as a lot of them are quite old I'm wondering if the advice is still current?

As a background, our kitchen is open plan, (size 6.5m x 4m)  with a ceiling height of 3m .  The hob is going on an island but we really don't like those big bulky overhead chimney type extractors.  That leaves either a downdraft system or a flat ceiling extractor incorporated into a smallish bulkhead.  However my question is, would a ceiling extractor even be effective with such high ceilings? If so, any recommendations and ballpark prices would be greatly appreciated.  I must add that I do A LOT of smelly cooking i.e. curries, fish, steaks etc so it is imperative that the extraction is powerful enough (and not too noisy).  With regard to the downdraft systems,  I really like the look of the Bora PURA. It appears to have good reviews and the price (approx £1600) seems quite competitive when you consider what the cost of a decent hob and ceiling extractor is.  But...is it really powerful enough to get rid of curry smells??? I would love to get some genuine feedback on the above so we can decide once and for all, on what type of extraction to go for.

Friends have the new ikea version of the above and say it’s brilliant. At £1150 it’s not a bad price either, only minor issue has been that it sometimes doesn’t recognise pans and that was solved with some decent new ones. 

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/foerdelaktig-induction-hob-integrated-extractor-black-50449403/

One comment that was passed was that it’s an odd feeling standing getting warm air blown over your feet whilst cooking ..! Similar set up to yours and ceiling is around 4.5m and pitched so nothing “standard” would work. 

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Friends have the new ikea version of the above and say it’s brilliant. At £1150 it’s not a bad price either, only minor issue has been that it sometimes doesn’t recognise pans and that was solved with some decent new ones. 

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/foerdelaktig-induction-hob-integrated-extractor-black-50449403/

One comment that was passed was that it’s an odd feeling standing getting warm air blown over your feet whilst cooking ..! Similar set up to yours and ceiling is around 4.5m and pitched so nothing “standard” would work. 

Thanks for your recommendation Peter although I don't understand the warm air being blown over your feet? We were planning on ducting to an outside wall if we went with the downdraft system so that wouldn't apply to us would it?

If you do lots of smelly cooking I don't think a downdraft or flush ceiling extract will work for you.  Downdraft only really work immediately next to the source.  They would not extract from the far edge of a frying pan for example.

The further a ceiling extract is from the source the large and more powerful it will need to be to prevent the smells circulating throughout the room.

If you look at any commercial kitchen setup you will get an idea of what is most effective.  I would recommend a powerful fan is mounted on an outside wall and you use large diameter ducting.

12 minutes ago, Coffeepotclaire said:

Thanks for your recommendation Peter although I don't understand the warm air being blown over your feet? We were planning on ducting to an outside wall if we went with the downdraft system so that wouldn't apply to us would it?

These types of hob have recirculating fans not extracts to the outside - and an island wouldn’t allow that without some serious engineering under the floor. If you look at the way this is installed it comes down the back of the cabinet and out of the front of the plinth with a carbon filter to stop any smells. 

Is this a new build or refurb..?

25 minutes ago, nod said:

The ceilings  are 2.9 and I built the extractor housing to be 1200 off the hob 

I can burn Something in the oven Open the door and the extractor drags the smoke in as quick as it comes out 

51 minutes ago, PeterW said:

These types of hob have recirculating fans not extracts to the outside - and an island wouldn’t allow that without some serious engineering under the floor. If you look at the way this is installed it comes down the back of the cabinet and out of the front of the plinth with a carbon filter to stop any smells. 

Is this a new build or refurb..?

Ah I see.  Yes, we would be looking at under floor ducting out so this particular model probably wouldn't be suitable. This is a new build extension.

4 minutes ago, Coffeepotclaire said:

Yes, we would be looking at under floor ducting

Just ensure your extractor has very good filters as you have no way to clean this type of duct. It is also very easy to fill it full of water if you get it wrong. 

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

If you do lots of smelly cooking I don't think a downdraft or flush ceiling extract will work for you.  Downdraft only really work immediately next to the source.  They would not extract from the far edge of a frying pan for example.

The further a ceiling extract is from the source the large and more powerful it will need to be to prevent the smells circulating throughout the room.

If you look at any commercial kitchen setup you will get an idea of what is most effective.  I would recommend a powerful fan is mounted on an outside wall and you use large diameter ducting.

Thanks for your feedback Mr Punter, though not the news I was hoping for as the hob has to go on the island!  Not sure where to go from here now!

We will be installing a Bora hob with external extraction when we fit the Kitchen.

We have been to a couple of showrooms and had a full demo at a showroom in Cardiff whilst there for the weekend.

Try and find a local showroom and have a demo.

Edited by wozza

38 minutes ago, wozza said:

We will be installing a Bora hob with external extraction when we fit the Kitchen.

We have been to a couple of showrooms and had a full demo at a showroom in Cardiff whilst there for the weekend.

Try and find a local showroom and have a demo.

Thanks Wozza!  I'm sure if I have a demo I will love it.  Just wondered what it's really like from people who are actually using it in their homes.  Of course, it has to be people who cook a lot of smelly foods like me! ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Coffeepotclaire said:

Thanks Wozza!  I'm sure if I have a demo I will love it.  Just wondered what it's really like from people who are actually using it in their homes.  Of course, it has to be people who cook a lot of smelly foods like me! ?

@lizzie  has had a Bora hob for a while now - iirc its a recirculating one - perhaps she could offer some advice - there was a thread with of a picture of hers.

21 hours ago, Coffeepotclaire said:

Is there anyone out there that has a Bora or similar downdraft hob in their home that can give me any feedback as to whether or not it really does get rid of terrible food smells like curry etc?  I really don't want my whole house smelling.  Thanks

We moved into our new home at xmas with a Gaggenau hob and built in extractor and it is brilliant. There is a mesh filter in a housing right next to the pans and this goes in the d/washer and then there is a charcoal filter in a housing in the cupboard to absorb smells. The extracted air comes out above the plinth in the island unit. We love to cook and thus have fishy/currysmells on a regular basis and the house is small free but we also have an mvhr system so I am sure this contribute to the air smelling fresh as opposed to a normal house extraction system.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

We moved into our new home at xmas with a Gaggenau hob and built in extractor and it is brilliant. There is a mesh filter in a housing right next to the pans and this goes in the d/washer and then there is a charcoal filter in a housing in the cupboard to absorb smells. The extracted air comes out above the plinth in the island unit. We love to cook and thus have fishy/currysmells on a regular basis and the house is small free but we also have an mvhr system so I am sure this contribute to the air smelling fresh as opposed to a normal house extraction system.

Interesting!  Thanks, I'll take a look at Gaggenau.  Performance wise though, I wonder how this compares to the Bora system?! 

18 hours ago, Coffeepotclaire said:

Interesting!  Thanks, I'll take a look at Gaggenau.  Performance wise though, I wonder how this compares to the Bora system?! 

It will be fine. The extractor is really powerful and auto adjusts for all sorts of cooking 

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

It will be fine. The extractor is really powerful and auto adjusts for all sorts of cooking 

Good products but frightfully expensive. Fundamentally not better than anything mainstream on the market but will branding. 

20 hours ago, ryder72 said:

With 3m ceilings and lots of cooking curries a ceiling flush mounted extractor, possibly with a powerful external motor is the solution. it wont be cheap though.

Hi Ryder72!  Thanks for your input.  Dare I ask what sort of ballpark figure we're  talking about?  Obviously we are keen  to find a solution but are price sensitive!  And do you have a make/model in mind that I can look up?  Also, if we go with the downdraft system we would be looking to duct out from the island  to an outside wall.   Just a little concerned about how effective our ducting will be.  We will need to come down from the island to the floor then 2m across the floor, up the internal face of the external wall and then out through the wall so in effect 3 x 90 degree bends.  Thoughts much appreciated!

Also, I keep reading threads on here of people who have MVHR systems in their homes.  I won't pretend to know much about them but 

might this be an option to have in the kitchen in addition to a hob extractor?  Just wondering if it might help with getting rid of the horrible cooking smells?And does anyone know what sort of price an MVHR is?