Raised decking platform - pics

Hello all. 

I've almost finished building this decking platform and just realised that because it's above 600mm above the ground level I should have had the design signed off by a structural engineer. 

Can anyone have  a look at pics and also inform me if it's possible to get a retrospective design done and/ or make whatever adjustments I might need to get this thing regulated. 

Thanks

IMG-20210118-WA0002.jpg

20210120_150811.jpg

20210119_154003.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Officially you need planning permission as over 300mm and the planning portal says you should assume you need Building Control Approval if you need planning permission. I think i would just keep quiet unless someone complains.

If Building Control ask you to get an SE involved you could probably get one to come take a look and write them a letter. Ring round a few.

Personally I wouldn't have a timber deck as they can get as slippery as ice. 

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Thanks for feedback. 

Spindles are spaced at 125mm but that's an easy fix. Sub frame is the issue. I've flashed the wall plate, joists are 200mm / 50mm and hung on joist hangers fixed with screws. Ballustrade posts and x2 main 200mm upright supports are bolted to x2 joists that are jointed into the uprights also.

I've seen multiple streets full of this type of arrangement with absolutely not a thought for planning permission or building  control approval. Unless (in a very unlikely event) a neighbour complains then I'd just get on with it and it'll be effectively adopted after a certain time period (six years, I think). Your arrangement looks very much like the one my dad built (except it's about 400mm lower) and that's still standing a decade on. 

On 26/01/2021 at 06:16, Onoff said:

It would pi$$ me off big time, if a close neighbour, standing on their raised deck could see over a 6' fence and likewise I could see them. Sorry, maybe that's just me. 

same. However, this is a consideration in a planning application and would probably be flagged. Might need to build fence up or lower deck.

If you can keep quiet I would, however if anyone complains, you'll be fined.. think fines about £1000 now..

I've had to go through planning for decking myself, as I was altering a window into a door and had a warrant open (meaning the cat-was-out-of-the-bag), and the cost of that of applications was about £300 when you factor in time of drawings etc.

What's dimensions of your corner posts? It looks a cracking job by the way. What's the metal work they're sitting on?

Are the rim joists/cross just bolted to corner posts, or are they lap joints? I had to have lap joints as well as bolts.

As mentioned, you need 100mm or less gap between balustrades, if you're 125mm spindle centres, you might be ok. You also need to ensure there isn't 100mm gap between stair stinger/treds and balustrade/base rail. Steps need to meet minimum requirements (look up, as gets complicated quickly). As over permitted height, I think Handrail needs to be 1100mm above deck floor level, you need 1200mm from a door threshold to top of first step and in Scotland, (as a FYI), your balustrade must be vertical (reduce kids climbing :) ).

Attached my approved (scottish) planning app drawing. Pretty simple to pass, so don't think you'll have issues, but there are boxes that have to be ticked! (lap joints etc).

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 09.37.08.png

Edited by Kilt
  • Like 1

I built one like that for my brother many years ago (no planning or building regs). Looks fine to me. How do you get on with your neighbour? They may complain about being overlooked (I would), easy to extend the fence/add trellis to keep them happy.

I did a deck at my daughters. it was about 450mm high. I had forgot about the 300mm planning rule. I stuck a 2mt high fence on top of the deck to prevent my daughter being able to see straight into next door. To be honest it blocked a lot of light from there patio. If i had been them, i would have complained.

If I were your neighbour I would complain to the Council as they no longer have enjoyment of their garden without overlooking.  That looks a lot more than 600mm.  Looking at the brick courses and that you have five risers that looks more like 900mm high.  Did you discuss with your neighbours, or just go ahead?

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 06:16, Onoff said:

It would pi$$ me off big time, if a close neighbour, standing on their raised deck could see over a 6' fence and likewise I could see them. Sorry, maybe that's just me. 

It seems a very steep sloping garden because can't both sets of neighbours see into next doors gardens from their conservatories. Maybe it's the camera angle or something but it looks strange to me.

Thanks for all the feedback. Here is a finished photo. 

The sub frame is 200/50.  Legs are 200mm x 200mm with x2 lap joints for x2 cross beams. 1 at the top on the front face bolted through and another on the rear side opposite and sitting diagonally under the front beam, also bolted. 

Foot plates are stainless steel uprights bored in and pinned inside the uprights and then bolted to the concrete footings. 

Ta 

20210121_1521361.jpg

20210121_151850.jpg

20210121_151500.jpg

By the way this is not my house. This is a customer. I was asked to do it. Never built a raised decking before that was sitting more than 2 inches off the ground. Only kinda hit me half way through build that this might not be allowed. 

And yes, neighbour has complained and yes we have to drop it down. Gutted. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, avabanana said:

Yes it is but I feel pretty bad about it. I'm in the process of quoting them to drop it to 300mm and re position stairs up to the building. 

Shame, can you not discuss with the neighbours to raise the fence or something? I built one for my brother many years ago about the same height ( I didn’t know then about height restriction!) and just chatted to the neighbour about raising the fence and they agreed.

7 minutes ago, avabanana said:

Yes it is but I feel pretty bad about it. I'm in the process of quoting them to drop it to 300mm and re position stairs up to the building. 

The construction looks fine but I can understand the neighbour's concerns.

Will you need to take the whole thing apart?

Another option could be a privacy screen around the offending section.  I have done similar in the past, but with obscure glass.  This also had a tall section on the left as you view it.

image.thumb.png.aeda39bdf2e9012428a1d754e10515c6.png

21 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The construction looks fine but I can understand the neighbour's concerns.

Will you need to take the whole thing apart?

Another option could be a privacy screen around the offending section.  I have done similar in the past, but with obscure glass.  This also had a tall section on the left as you view it.

image.thumb.png.aeda39bdf2e9012428a1d754e10515c6.png

Unfortunately neighbours aren't having any of it. 

I can probably take the decking semi apart and drop it and re use some of the stair case and balustrade to enter the conservatory. Still, I imagine it'll take 2 days for 3 of us or in that region. Not relishing the idea of presenting them the quote on it tomorrow....

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, avabanana said:

And yes, neighbour has complained and yes we have to drop it down. Gutted. 

Did the neighbours not complain at them having clear glass in the end of the conservatory also overlooking their garden?

There is a section of hedge there, all the neighbours need to do is let it grow taller and all the overlooking problems go away.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Did the neighbours not complain at them having clear glass in the end of the conservatory also overlooking their garden?

There is a section of hedge there, all the neighbours need to do is let it grow taller and all the overlooking problems go away.

Fairs fair and all that. Put the deck lower then complain about the neighbours conservatory.

In a  previous house I was going to erect a conservatory and told the neighbour (little old lady) and she told her son when he visited, he came round complaining that from the new conservatory you could see straight through her kitchen window and into her bedroom. I pointed out that the floor level of the conservatory was the same as the existing patio (which we often sat on) and that her kitchen window was closer to the boundary than my patio was. They went to IKEA and bought her a blind fir the window ?

neighbours eh!!!

• Like 1