Hello, first time self-builder from Co. Down, N.I.

JohnW

Hi All,

Let me begin by saying a big Thank you to all the contributors in this forum (and the old eBuild) for the wealth of information & invaluable advice provided. I have spent the last 4-5 months reading a lot of the threads and have found they can go 2 ways; they either confirm my thoughts or convince me that I need to do more research on each given topic. 

I have no previous experience of building and as a first (and hopefully last) time self-builder (I use that term loosely as I will most likely be using a main contractor), I am finding the whole process absolutely mind-boggling and fascinating.

We received planning permission in August 2016, but have since changed those plans to the extent that we had to re-apply at the start of December 2016. We are hoping to receive planning permission within the next 2 weeks.

If granted, we will be building a 196.5sqM, 2 storey detached house in Newcastle, Co. Down, Northern Ireland.

At this stage the build is likely to include the following; (this may change following input from this forum)

• Block built cavity wall (external 100mm block, 200mm cavity, internal 100mm)
  • Full fill cavity insulation with grey beads & glue
  • Air Source Heat Pump
  • Zoned UFH throughout
  • MVHR
  • Aiming for maximum U-values of 0.15 for Walls & Roof 
  • Triple glazed windows
  • Sealed small wood burning stove
  • LED lights throughout

I look forward to participating and hopefully contributing in the coming months.

JohnW

Guest Alphonsox

Hi and welcome

We're (still)  building north of you. There's lots of Norn Iron building knowledge on these boards so get those questions asked.

Good luck with planning.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Alphonsox - am I right in thinking that you shared a detailed spreadsheet for tracking expenditure with recoveringacademic some time ago? If that's correct, would it be possible to get a copy of it please?

Thanks @vfrdave, you're only a few miles from where we live at the minute, Annsborough area. Good luck with your build.

Cheers @Declan52, it's a great place to live., we're very lucky to have got a site there.

Edited by JohnW

Guest Alphonsox
On 03/02/2017 at 22:28, Alphonsox said:

Sure - I'll dig it out

@JohnWThis may take a little longer than I hoped. The original version is on a laptop I don't have with me. It will be another 2-3 weeks before I can get my hands on it.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 16:34, Alphonsox said:

Hi and welcome

We're (still)  building north of you near Portaferry. There's lots of Norn Iron building knowledge on these boards so get those questions asked.

Good luck with planning.

@Alphonsox I read in another thread that you have built/are building along similar lines to myself, namely ASHP, UFH etc... I noticed that you mentioned you did not install any heat upstairs (brave move), can I ask what U-value your walls, floors & roof are, what construction method you used and what air-tightness you achieved?

Also, how is the, no heating upstairs, working out in practice?

Guest Alphonsox
29 minutes ago, JohnW said:

@Alphonsox I read in another thread that you have built/are building along similar lines to myself, namely ASHP, UFH etc... I noticed that you mentioned you did not install any heat upstairs (brave move), can I ask what U-value your walls, floors & roof are, what construction method you used and what air-tightness you achieved?

Also, how is the, no heating upstairs, working out in practice?

I haven't installed UFH upstairs but I have wired every room for electric panel heaters or towel radiators. This allows me to install heating should I later discover I need it. It's too early to say whether we will or not - Even in today's hurricane the house is maintaining heat well, so I am hopeful the heat loss calculations are accurate. The truth is we wont know until we move in.

The house is timber framed with a blockwork and render skin. Our U-values are 0.1 floor and roof, 0.12 for the walls. The windows are triple glazed Rational units but I cant remember what the average U-value was for them. Air permeability was measured at 0.55 m3/m2/hr (approx 0.5 ach if my calculations are correct)