Sips panels and rendering

I just thought I would check something. 

On another group I’m a member of somebody is suggesting that they are going to build an extension with sips then a membrane and then cement boards screwed directly onto the sips, no battens no air gap or cavity. 

Now I’m sure that is totally wrong but they reckon it’s the correct spec. 

Who's the lunatic me or them. 

Them in my opinion. I have SIPS and I will be having a 50mm air gap then my renderboards. 

Albeit I am now very interested to follow this, only person I know with something attached directly to a kit is @ProDave with his wood fibre cladding which is rendered. Dunno know if thats nearly equivalent? 

following with interest. 

Edited by SuperJohnG

Just now, Russell griffiths said:

Pro daves place is timber frame not sips. 

I know however his wood fibre panels (can't remeber what they are exactly) I think are directly attached? I might be making it up. 

It would be nearly the same thing. 

33 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

On another group I’m a member of somebody is suggesting that they are going to build an extension with sips then a membrane and then cement boards screwed directly onto the sips, no battens no air gap or cavity. 

They're wrong but you're still a lunatic! ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

It might work if they had magnesium oxide based SIPS. image.png.639590572dbfdabc59daba276514ae92.png

The above link references a BBA cert that appears to be no longer valid. The replacement certificate now includes the vent cavity behind the cladding system. Check MIs and  3rd party certificates for exact requirement, accepted good practice is that render should not be applied direct to TF or insulation on TF.