readymix concrete

LSB

One of our fairly early tasks is a new base slab on our 240m2 barn conversion.

When investigating about concrete it's made me wonder about delivery of readymix.

The barn is 120m from the road with a rise of 5m and the track is a muddy track, certainly at the moment, our planning specifically says that we are not allowed to create a driveway to stay within the vernacular it must stay looking like a farm track as it runs through agricultural land to get to the barn.

So, baring in mind that the track rises 5m and is slippery and my truck only gets up there in 4WD, will I be able to get readymix to the build, i.e. how long can their pipes go and how will it cope with going up a slope.

TIA

Jill

are you paying for a pump or just coming off the chute?

chute will mean truck needs to be very close.

Pump- extra cash but can be a bit further away

don’t know if you have access to a digger to scrape the worst of the mud off, given the weight of concrete trucks they can do most slopes as long as they are ‘slow’

Given the critical nature of the delivery ot may be worth investing in some type 1 for the drive 

@LSB Our farm tracks used to be MoT1 until the top of the hill and then they were concrete bays at 8” thick laid 10ft wide by 8ft long... so that would be fine ..!! Not a “driveway” by any stretch of the imagination and that’s classic council crap tbh .. I would do as @TonyT said and top scrape it and put MOT1 down and then let it grow over. Hundreds of farm tracks like that across the U.K.  

we do have a digger, but I was using my truck and trailer at the weekend to move some hay and it's now very muddy.

I haven't done anything about chutes or pumps yet, I'm still working out what is needed.

We were planning on some MOT type 1                         for the whole area around the barn as it's a bit of a quagmire at the moment as the horses have been on it.

We aren't doing any building at all until late spring, so it may be that they can get up there when it is dry.

More investigation needed, as per every area of any build.

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You will need a pump, not just for the distance from the truck but to get the concrete to all the different parts of the floor slab. 

Dont even consider a wheelbarrow this needs doing properly 

Plus 1 

14 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

You will need a pump, not just for the distance from the truck but to get the concrete to all the different parts of the floor slab. 

Dont even consider a wheelbarrow this needs doing properly 

definitely don't want to be using a wheelbarrow or mixing ourselves for this amount.

that's fine for little things.

3 hours ago, Vijay said:

If you need a pump, I can highly recommend these people https://www.mkandrewsconcretepumpingltd.co.uk/   Speak with Carol (she will know who I am and look after you) and ask for Josh who was amazing on my last pour

Do they deliver nationally?

I've checked their website and they don't come as far as the east coast, but I've sent them a message to ask if they would consider it.

I love personal recommendations as you get a better idea of who you are dealing with.

Edited by LSB
new bit

@LSB   This is the info Carol gave me:

We cover most of the East of England and Northamptonshire, as long as the pump has less than a 2 hour journey we are happy to travel them.

Currently we have pumps located in Kings Lynn, Whittlesey, Alconbury, Peterborough and Thetford with sizes ranging from a 16m boom pump to the 42m boom that you had yesterday.

Obviously you might not get Josh as the operator, but if the areas work for you, give Carol a call, she really is super helpful

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

@LSB   This is the info Carol gave me:

We cover most of the East of England and Northamptonshire, as long as the pump has less than a 2 hour journey we are happy to travel them.

Currently we have pumps located in Kings Lynn, Whittlesey, Alconbury, Peterborough and Thetford with sizes ranging from a 16m boom pump to the 42m boom that you had yesterday.

Obviously you might not get Josh as the operator, but if the areas work for you, give Carol a call, she really is super helpful

thanks, Thetford is the nearest to me, still probably 2 hours, but would of course depend on the state of the A14 on any given day.

22 hours ago, LSB said:

We were planning on some MOT type 1 

If I was you and the lane gets mucky and it's your only site access I'd use 6f2 and if you wanted put a sprinkling of type1 on it after if you wanted . Type 1 will just churn in the muck while 6f2 will stand up to the traffic better.

23 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

If I was you and the lane gets mucky and it's your only site access I'd use 6f2 and if you wanted put a sprinkling of type1 on it after if you wanted . Type 1 will just churn in the muck while 6f2 will stand up to the traffic better.

thanks, it's not a lane it's just a farm track across one of our fields to get to the old barn, historically there has been some hardcore dropped so it has lots sticking out, but that was 20+ years when it was still a pig farm.  Locals who used to work on the farm said that you couldn't even get a tractor up the slope in the winter, so I will definitely not be trying to do it them.  I've no real idea of timing yet, hopefully this summer.