Material choice.

Makeitstop

I had the same dilemma a couple of years back when I did ours 

I’d absolutely no experience of either But went with fiberglass due to it being virtually indestructible Should one of the many slates that I fixed above fall 

AA541EA5-B5F8-41B3-B17A-E9455D4E6694.jpeg

BD1A6E42-AAC2-4E82-99F2-B26729D646A0.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, joe90 said:

+1 for GRP, indestructible but very weather dependant when installing.

Your right there Joe

Ive a friend who builds boats 

His exact advise Everything must be bone dry and no chance of rain 

Ours runs to a drain at either side 

So not exactly flat roof Nothing could ever come through it 

It is like the bottom of a boat 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@ Nod.... What is the overall dimension of your roof in the image, and was this a contractor job or DIY, how long has it been on, and, are you pleased with it overall?

@ Joe90 and Steamytea... do you have any of this on your current properties and if so, I ask you the same as above to Nod.

@ Tonyshouse... Why Asphalt.?... Why not flat roof (obviously not dead flat) and why not parapet walls, especially if done properly.?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with PVC.?...such as Armourplan?

2 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

@ Joe90 and Steamytea... do you have any of this on your current properties and if so, I ask you the same as above to Nod.

I speak as someone who has diy ed my own small porch roof but have done roof galleys, parapet gutters and flat roofs fir customers in the past when I was a builder. I never had a problem with a roof I did but was extremely careful regarding weather (refusing to do roofs in winter).

9 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

do you have any of this on your current propertie

God no, would not be allowed down where I am, too close to a World Heritage Site, SSSi and AONB.

Anything made after Trevithick improved the steam engine is frowned upon as too modern and untrustworthy.

But some GRP cladding, walkways and stone like pillars i made, are still about, after 4o years.

Edited by SteamyTea

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

God no, would not be allowed down where I am, too close to a World Heritage Site, SSSi and AONB.

Anything made after Trevithick improved the steam engine is frowned upon as too modern and untrustworthy.

But some GRP cladding, walkways and stone like pillars are still about, after 4o years.

Haha, Oh, like that is it.

My plan does have a parapet wall, so I'm curious to know what any problems people have had with them may be.

In the design I have, the plan is to use zinc copings fabricated to suit, as there is an element of zinc (maybe PLX) cladding to part of the rear wall and part of one side wall. 

I liked the idea of the parapet as it offers some aesthetic appeal in limiting the visibility of the roof light / lights.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

A bit of creative designing and I am sure that drainage areas could be built in with GRP.

But I always think of Nigel Pargetter's scream.

Pargetting, of course, can be applied to parapet walls. 

Even if the pattern is a row of fingernail trails leading to the edge.