Building warrant

Mike_scotland

Hi group,

How long does a building warrant realistically take to get through so we're ready to get building? 

Our architect stated before that it should take 6-8 weeks, however after speaking to our architect recently he is now saying 4 months!!? 

Hes saying by time he does the drawings and then engineer takes over and does his bit then by time the council etc he's saying 3 to 4 months, when I questioned how come he had previously stated 8 weeks he said that was just for his bit.

I think there's two different questions in the original post. One is how long it takes for the building warrant to be approved once submitted and the other is how long it takes to gather all the info, submit and then get approved.

For the first, 6-8 weeks seems reasonable based on our experience, but it depends a bit on how busy the council are and also on how much back and forth there is between council and architect.

I'd also imagine 4 months is reasonable to collate, coordinate and submit info for approval. No doubt it could be done quicker but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

As mentioned above. There are different questions being asked. 

I done first submission  25th August. Got approved BW first week in December. Just over 3 months. 

Now...that took all the engineering into account and managing two separate engineers (superstructure and foundations) plus the kit supplier and then architect. 

In reality we were a week for comments back from LA then once we submitted the SER and stuff from his initial comments it took 10 days. 

So in reality...a tad over two weeks if you submitted the BW with the SER, give another week to close comments. Its defo about being organised. 

This was East Ayrshire.