Fitting uPVC Windows

Onoff

If you do want to fill the internal box sections, then the trick is to use the foam gun with extension piece and start be squirting in a small amount  in the middle ,say about 1/10th of the length.  This will then expand and harden over the next 6-12 hours to fill the middle third.  Then repeat on each side in one or two more goes.  Practice on one, then do all of the other cills in  batch.  Cut of the excess when full hardened.  Doing it in multiple fills like this will avoid undue internal pressure build up and the risk of distorting the exteriors.

As above I faffed the sill up on the Evolution chop saw! :( Took it over my chippy mates last night for a perfect cut on his saw. Brought his laptop back to change the DC jack in return. Maybe next weekend! Got to make some wooden wedges too.

41 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Wedges just go in finger tight ;). Put them in the corners so as not to distort the legs. :)

So even though it's low expansion foam what stops the long, vertical sides bending in the middle if you only wedge the corners?

52 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So even though it's low expansion foam what stops the long, vertical sides bending in the middle if you only wedge the corners?

On a small window the sides are probably reinforced but you could wedge and screw the frame in and then fit the glazing with appropriate packers. Once glazed just foam in and it won't go anywhere.

On 29/01/2017 at 13:57, Nickfromwales said:

Fill your boots, your catching me up :ph34r:

:/

Yes but you get them for pearls of technical wisdom and sage advice whereas I get them for the odd witty remark, lewd innuendo and not being afraid to air my numerous faux pas! xD

FWIW we usually foam ours after we have glazed them but i don't think that is for any real reason, You are not going to bend a 1m long leg with expanding foam, i don't care how much you try (no cheating and sealing it in), if you want to fill the sill with foam (i get a feeling you do) I can't see it causing an issue, just don't seal it in, let it come out the ends and cut it off after,

otherwise just do as everyone else has said and fit the bloody window! 

I am dreading the day you ask about toeing and heeling a door.....:S

43 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

otherwise just do as everyone else has said and fit the bloody window! 

I am dreading the day you ask about toeing and heeling a door.....:S

I've got to make a set of matching wedges yet!

Just now, Construction Channel said:

if you made them out of stainless they would last forever.....

I've a nice piece of walnut come to think of it. Bought about 30 years to make a crossbow stock. Never happened as I milled it out of ali in the end. Cut a bit of the walnut the other day for a mate needing a handle for his knife.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I've a nice piece of walnut come to think of it. Bought about 30 years to make a crossbow stock. Never happened as I milled it out of ali in the end. Cut a bit of the walnut the other day for a mate needing a handle for his knife.

as sad as it sounds i have got a few choice oak wedges i am rather fond of,

whats the grain like on the walnut? has it got a nice straight bit?

31 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

as sad as it sounds i have got a few choice oak wedges i am rather fond of,

whats the grain like on the walnut? has it got a nice straight bit?

?

I do know it's had a bit of worm as there's flight holes. Pretty solid though.

20170131_204602

20170131_204521

Found parts of the crossbow too! Milled from 2"x2" Dural. God knows where the trigger components or sight rail are. Also somewhere is the mahogany thumbhole butt that I hand carved with spokeshaves etc. 

2017-01-31_09-07-04