External door opening inwards or outwards?

patp

I know that the traditional way to fit them is so that they open inwards. Is there any good reason for this?

I noticed that my sliding patio doors have an outward opening door before they start to slide. It occurred to me that this door is somewhat more secure than an inward opening one. Any thoughts?

Inward is more traditional BUT the basic design is more prone to wind driven rain leaking in.

Outward is inherently less prone to wind driven rain getting in, BUT is less traditional and you need to be holding on tight to the door handle if you open it on a very windy day!!!!

I was thinking more of security than anything else. The above points do make sense though. Here in East Anglia we tend not to worry too much about weather problems. One door, the utility room, will be facing south. The front door will face North but we do not expect it to used very often. Everyone in this area comes to the back door no matter where that is sited :)

Would it put anyone off from buying a house?

Front doors traditionally open inwards.  Rather better for inviting guests in.  Also means if a delivery is left in front of the door it can still be opened.  Security should be the same whichever.  I could not get into my house without a key.

• Like 1

Assuming airtightness boundary is on the inside face of external walls, then inward opening makes it easier to get a good connection from the airtight boundary in the walls and floor into the face of the threshold that connects to the door leaf. (Depends on the exact design of door, but majority of Passivhaus doors work this way)

I hate outward opening doors (OCD) looks cheap IMO. BUT my conservatory double outside doors open outwards so they can be fixed back against the wall leaving a clear opening when it’s good weather. It would not stop me buying a house, but I would change it soon after completion ?.

2 minutes ago, joth said:

Assuming airtightness boundary is on the inside face of external walls, then inward opening makes it easier to get a good connection from the airtight boundary in the walls and floor into the face of the threshold that connects to the door leaf. (Depends on the exact design of door, but majority of Passivhaus doors work this way)

Eh? :)

18 hours ago, patp said:

I know that the traditional way to fit them is so that they open inwards. Is there any good reason for this?

I noticed that my sliding patio doors have an outward opening door before they start to slide. It occurred to me that this door is somewhat more secure than an inward opening one. Any thoughts?

Yes, outward opening doors are more secure, hence the reason why inward opening doors are preferred by the fire service, easier to get in. 

• Like 1