View (glass) vs energy efficiency (walls)

WWilts

Novice here.

Context: Quite a lot of glass on rear (north facing, partly west facing - about 35 degree off due north). Large openings desirable owing to attractive mature trees in rear garden. Likely to have to move from area in a few years, hence not wanting to go over the top for luxury/costs. Economy of build desired, but not penny wise pound foolish economies (5 year horizon, probably sell then).

What would you do?

Would you cut down on size of openings at the rear? Or specify modestly priced glass options and keep the large openings?

Other approaches?

Thanks.

PS Details of windows/doors shown in black/white. Colour pic shows position/size but not correct details.

Rear elevation option B.jpg

Rear elevn 201108 option A.jpg

Ground floor plan option A.jpg

Ground floor plan option B.jpg

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

TBH that doesn’t look like a lot of glass at all, looks like a fairly standard build. 

I also don’t consider north to be a problem. 

Comforting, thanks.

Coloured is option B.

Black/white is option A.

Trying to decide (although it might be there's not much in it).

Edited by WWilts

Can you not move a few of those windows to the other elevations ..? Study would be getting evening sun if you put the window opposite the door ..? Kitchen window would get morning sunshine if you moved it to the other wall. The French doors next to the window in the kitchen look odd tbh. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Can you not move a few of those windows to the other elevations ..? Study would be getting evening sun if you put the window opposite the door ..? Kitchen window would get morning sunshine if you moved it to the other wall. The French doors next to the window in the kitchen look odd tbh. 

Not looking to move windows because can't stray too far from planning permission. Just minor tweaks. 

Will bear in mind the odd aesthetics and tweak.

Thanks.

PS. This is the rear face, North face (slight slant west, about 35 degrees off due North). Kitchen windowless wall faces west.

Has this been designed by a professional or is it literally your brief and requirements put on paper?

The Living area does appear to be an awkward shape to furnish. Where would you have the sofa, TV, etc...? Have you not considered having more and larger openings to the Living/South elevation or is that the main approach to the dwelling?

2 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

Has this been designed by a professional or is it literally your brief and requirements put on paper?

The Living area does appear to be an awkward shape to furnish. Where would you have the sofa, TV, etc...? Have you not considered having more and larger openings to the Living/South elevation or is that the main approach to the dwelling?

Both.

South elevation partly visible from road. So don't want to fiddle with the approved appearance there. Only liberty being considered is to tweak the size of openings at the relatively private rear.

I think option  A (black and white picture looks better)

In practical terms- 

Windows are cheaper than doors.

Doors cause more of a cold bridge at floor level and eliminating them will help. Unless you really think you would use the second door in the kitchen area and the study door, the windows are a better option. We have three doors out of our kitchen, one has never been opened, and we use one of the other two 95% of the time. The study is a small room where a door will limit the ability to position furniture.

Window D4 is marked as bifold on the plan. I would just have French doors, they are much cheaper and as it is only two doors you can have exactly the same size of opening. Also if you plan to have the design of windows in the picture then they will all look the same.

North facing is not a big issue.

If you plan to sell you probably won't get the money back on 3G au-clad windows that most on here use. I would probably just stick with decent quality 2G UPVC. This is what almost all developers use. You can get 1-1.2 U-Value in these. You can always price up different options to see what makes most sense.

• Like 1

Have you thermally modelled the different options.  You can possibly 'claw back' some of the losses with a different choice of insulation.

I see you have an corner (Kitchen/Diner) on the outside.  My Mother's house has something similar that is always in the dark (she keeps all 3 wheely bins and the 4 recycling box there).

It is always damp and mouldy.

Is the roof a warm or cold one, is the roof light needed?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AliG said:

Windows are cheaper than doors.

5 hours ago, AliG said:

Window D4 is marked as bifold on the plan. I would just have French doors, they are much cheaper

5 hours ago, AliG said:

I would probably just stick with decent quality 2G UPVC. This is what almost all developers use. You can get 1-1.2 U-Value in these.

Much appreciated tips, thanks.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I see you have an corner (Kitchen/Diner) on the outside.  My Mother's house has something similar that is always in the dark (she keeps all 3 wheely bins and the 4 recycling box there).

It is always damp and mouldy.

Is the roof a warm or cold one, is the roof light needed?

Kitchen/diner corner faces NE, so hopefully sheltered from direction of wind/rain (SWesterly). And we'll take care to keep the sink away from that corner. Hopefully will discourage damp.

Roof light in attic, cold roof area. Other roof light over landing is warm roof area.

Thanks for tips.

54 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I was thinking outside, not in the house.

Yes, understood. Outside of the kitchen/diner corner relatively sheltered from wind/rain. Mentioned sink as possible other source of damp. But thanks for prompting idea to keep external tap(s) on sunny side.

Edited by WWilts

6 hours ago, AliG said:

Doors cause more of a cold bridge at floor level and eliminating them will help. Unless you really think you would use the second door in the kitchen area and the study door, the windows are a better option.

Probably will go with tall-ish windows that allow stepping through if anyone feels the urge. Should avoid the thermal bridge problems. From the inside of the planned kitchen, the more light and view coming in from the rear the more attractive the kitchen seems. Seems to expand into the entire garden instead of stopping at the wall, with tall window there. In the balance, of course, are costs of build, some thermal loss and some loss of counter top area.

Study/guest room tall window can serve as independent access for that room. Attracted to flexibility despite restriction in furniture placement below previous window level.

Very helpful comments! Helping us to think through it all.

We're leaning towards B, but what do folks think? A or B (pics)?

kitchen interior A.jpg

Kitchen interior B.jpg

I'd actually have the tall window, it looks better, it just doesn't have to be a door. But if you'd use a door go right ahead. Not a big difference between a tall window and a door.

Also it is opposite the room entrance door, so again will be nice for the sightline into the garden.

Reduces the number of corner cupboards in the kitchen which is always a positive in my book.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

I'd do something like this:

106616228_Screenshot2020-11-13at15_11_50.png.c56ff317169bb0441a0c4734600f78af.png

Whilst a long window may not fit the current aesthetic it would give you much nicer views out on to the garden. Access to the garden from the dining room is only a few short steps away from the kitchen so why compromise the kitchen with that tall window/door in amongst the worktops and cupboards?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russdl said:

Whilst a long window may not fit the current aesthetic it would give you much nicer views out on to the garden. Access to the garden from the dining room is only a few short steps away from the kitchen so why compromise the kitchen with that tall window/door in amongst the worktops and cupboards?

Thank you! 

This is what the family have been converging on too, step by step.

Kitchen window wide.jpg