1960s Dormer bungalow building regs

Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1960s dormer bungalow from an elderly lady who's husband has passed away.

The bungalow was built in the 60s and had a couple of extensions in the 90s. In 2007 the loft was converted with a rear facing dormer a few velux's which is now home to two bedrooms and a bathroom. 

I have the planing permission docs from her for the extensions and large rear dormer.

The problem is she cannot remember or find any completion certificates for the work, or any electrical certs, although there is a sticker on the fuseboard saying last inspection 2012.

In general its all done to a very high standard and i can see no obvious problems.

The bungalow has been marketed as a 5 bed and valued as such. I am now worried that without these docs and if the local authority is notified for the docs, i may stir up a hornets nest!!

Do i go the safe route and demand the certs or it being inspected or do i just suck it up and accept it for what it is?????

Any advice really appreciated.

Damien

Edited by Dedwards

My brother in law did similar, without a  sign off he demanded it was one less bedroom and the price reduced accordingly which worked fir him. You could contact the council, they may inspect and sign it off and if not knock the price down and take the risk about how much it will cost to meet regs.

It is probably long past the date that BC could take any enforcement action, even if they wanted to.  Don't poke the bear and bring it to their attention.  You can usually just get the vendor to put in place an indemnity policy to cover you in the unlikely event of any action, but ONLY if you have not bought it to the attention of BC.

More important is ascertain by survey the condition of the property is to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/knowledge/articles/2016/01/indemnity-insurance-building-regulations/#:~:text=The indemnity insurance is designed,t comply with building regulations.

In practice, building regulations indemnity insurance is very rarely claimed on and some people question how useful it really is (it wouldn't, for example, cover the cost of putting any work right). But many people agree to buy a policy so that the house sale can progress. If you’re selling a property, you may find that the buyer’s solicitors and the mortgage lenders insist on an indemnity policy being in place before the sale can go ahead. If you’re buying a property, your conveyancing solicitor may advise that a policy should be purchased before you proceed.

Remember, once any buildings work has been completed for a full 12 months, the local authority can't force you to alter or remove non-compliant work (Section 36 of the 1984 Act).

Hey chaps,

OK food for thought. Many thanks for the advice. 

I have taken the choice to get the vendor to go to the local authority and ask for copies of the building regs as she now believes it was all signed off OK and she has just lost the paperwork.

We will pay for a full survey and she has agrred to get the elctrics cerrified and pay for any works needed.

I think all fair enough.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, john0wingnut said:

Argh........

So if you get PP for something and build it differently from the plan its 4 years, whereas if you just go and build something, its 2 years

Its 2 years from completion of the work for B Regs, this is unrelated to any planning permission legislation.  Sect 35a Building Act 84
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/55/section/35A
Depending on the breach of planning, from memory, I believe it is 4 and 10 years, for listed buildings I don't think there is a time limit, but I'm not a planner and I don't work in a Planning Dept to ask enforcement  these days so don't quote me.  You'll have to do a little research to check.

6 minutes ago, juncopartner said:

Its 2 years from completion of the work for B Regs, this is unrelated to any planning permission legislation.  Sect 35a Building Act 84
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/55/section/35A
Depending on the breach of planning, from memory, I believe it is 4 and 10 years, for listed buildings I don't think there is a time limit, but I'm not a planner and I don't work in a Planning Dept to ask enforcement  these days so don't quote me.  You'll have to do a little research to check.

Argh, I understand now. You were referring to compliance with BR. Makes sense! Thanks