Boxing In A Boiler

Onoff

COVID / materials dependent I want to box in my boiler with an insulated but relatively quick to remove enclosure.

IMG_20201103_204229423.thumb.jpg.8727661ef22ff6943d25ab6257d9b44c.jpg

The currently uninsulated, two 28mm pipes going up into the uninsulated hipped loft space/eaves.

I was thinking to get another bit of coving and fit around these pipes. Maybe as it'll be in a cupboard though.....need I bother? Just neatly pb it from above?

IMG_20201103_204100471.thumb.jpg.0c8bef1bc47491a287c861a6492f8b17.jpg

I need to replace the fire cement that's got a few cracks around where the flue comes up and out the wall.

Rough plan is a full height 2x2" timber frame, clad in plasterboard then packed with Rockwool batts. I'll similarly line the back wall and sides with Rockwool batts. 

IMG_20201103_204315338.thumb.jpg.cc667d26b9eb65af4c80bcd394fb9f84.jpg

A little worried about fire of course. Haven't even thought about a door yet other than I guess it'll need a vent. Also a tad worried about about any fumes (if a fault) getting up into the loft and in turn bedrooms. 

All I have here is a full sheet of moisture resistant plasterboard. Good enough or should I go for the pink fire rated stuff?

Any thoughts? Cheers.

IMG_20201103_204337997.jpg

1 minute ago, Vijay said:

I get covering the boiler but why insulate it, wouldn't you want the heat off the boiler into the room??

We don't use the room other than for storing crap. It's a 4" block wall construction with mainly single glazing so freezing anyway. Limited insulation in the ceiling, nothing under the floor. At the moment the heat of the boiler is just barely warming that room or going up into the loft space.

8 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Have a look at the boiler installation manual, it should advise on proximity of ‘boxing’ in, what access is required for airflow around the boiler, maintenance etc

Good shout.

On 03/11/2020 at 21:54, Onoff said:

We don't use the room other than for storing crap. It's a 4" block wall construction with mainly single glazing so freezing anyway. Limited insulation in the ceiling, nothing under the floor. At the moment the heat of the boiler is just barely warming that room or going up into the loft space.

If that’s the case leave it open. Would it not keep the chill from the room and reduce the heat loss impact from the adjoining room? More importantly... Stop avoiding the proper jobs you need to get done. 

Also you will need to access the pipes time and again and will curse the day you boxed it all in.  ?

Edited by Gav_P
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Stop avoiding the proper jobs you need to get done. 

Also you will need to access the pipes time and again and will curse the day you boxed it all in.  ?

You'll need to narrow the list down for one!

Secondly the boxing in "walls" will be quick release with studs coming out of the walls and wing nuts. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Secondly the boxing in "walls" will be quick release with studs coming out of the walls and wing nuts. 

Camlocs are your friend here then. You’ll be like a one man F1 team for boilers. 

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You'll need to narrow the list down for one!

1) Bathroom. 

Not my proudest moment! ? 

I cut a piece of fire resistant plasterboard, drilled two 32mm holes in it, then cut it again along the centerline of the holes. Squidged a load of Everbuild Firemate intumescent sealant on the top side of the existing on and pushed the cut bits down into the mess. IF it sticks I'll fill in round the pipe a bit.

Even though this'll be in a cupboard it's still pretty unsightly! Haven't got any coving to suit but then even that's a bit rough. Maybe fill the whole area with fire rated foam and try and form the curve with it?

Then there's the Artex ceiling...I'm sure it was the in thing at the time. 

IMG_20201111_190922852.thumb.jpg.14140cfa8328b59fe2300db83235cc8c.jpg

IMG_20201111_190935378.jpg

6 hours ago, daiking said:

Gives me flashbacks to the rubbish late 70s ideal Mexico floor stander in the appalling rental we vacated in 2015.

Tbh the boiler is built like a battleship and has given good service despite the neglect. The efficiency is pretty good too. No instant hot water like an oil combi would give but I figure less to go wrong at least with the boiler.

Well I found out this morning this intumescent sealant is exactly that. Seemingly no adhesive properties particularly.  Not sure what to do with those bits of fire rated pb I've "stuck" up there now. Pull them off, top with ply and screw through from underneath? Remove the coving where the cupboard will be maybe and overboard with one piece of fire rated pb? That'd neaten things up perhaps. Or is it really worth the hassle ?

• 4 weeks later...
  7 hours ago, @ProDave said:

I think he is referring to stinking outside.

I have made the point several times that I believe my ASHP is about as noisy as the burner on an oil boiler.  Exept that noise from the ASHP is outside so I don't hear it, whereas the last house had the oil boiler inside the utility room.

Gotcha. I wouldn't say mine's particularly stinky outside tbh. Must be pretty noxious though as it's rotted the flue grille. Also stained the adjacent uPVC frame a bit.

Luckily, though inside, it's in what we refer to as the boiler room. A nominal long, thin, potential sun room affair with an old 3 piece, tropical fish tank and various potted plants. That and the floor is a good foot higher than the rest of the house! Could be quite a nice room if it wasn't for the piled high bags of stuff destined for the charity shop, other assorted tat and a load of my tools. Generally then like most rooms in the house! ? Tbh it needs raising to the ground.

With the (double glazed) door to the boiler room shut you can hear the dull roar of the boiler from inside the house.  As per my other thread the plan is to box the boiler in with a full height, easily removable, "cupboard" type affair. It'll be lined with 50mm Rockwool sound batts

I've started on framing the boiler in, well I've cut and marked a few bits of 2x2, ready to do some housing joints on the radial arm saw! 

I figure I should dig out and redo the fire cement. It's a bit cracked. Are all fire cements made equal? (Excuse photo quality).

IMG_20201214_051714019.thumb.jpg.d066df513c9dfc4e09d56fbcd1036bcd.jpg

Edited by Onoff

Not sure where this is going...this Wickes timber is a bit poor tbh. Really don't know if it's going to work. I'll end up with a big warm cupboard. Useful for I'm not sure what. Seems to come out quite far but it's only 2" further than the front of the Riello burner. I've got SWMBO giving it "I didn't know it'd stick out that far!" First time for everything I suppose! ? Still, the fake Makita recip saw had an outing:

IMG_20201214_182349559_HDR.thumb.jpg.868c57992b8cc34c2c13397c75c5d8bf.jpg

IMG_20201214_182358554.thumb.jpg.d5f0dcab749241f7df1af1c781aa3d6d.jpg

IMG_20201215_194904202.thumb.jpg.51197c701c5d0cf75cc2e89e1a3fe4a8.jpg

IMG_20201215_194915261.thumb.jpg.7a081bb5276f87d9ac9cc1fd00af18a7.jpg

IMG_20201215_194924678.thumb.jpg.ca953fe7cfcba9c459e225746360cd3c.jpg

IMG_20201215_195021200.thumb.jpg.945a1e73d552b5b429fd0744d10ebc00.jpg

Edited by Onoff

10 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Looking good!  You can shelve above and use it as an airing cupboard, and its always useful to have somewhere to dry a pair of boots overnight. 

Not sure tbh. Surprising how imposing the frame is. Though above the boiler and burner is dead space, you do tend to skirt the burner when you walk in/out and your elbows at least, if not upper body pass through that space. 

Chamfering the corner might "soften" the look/feel...but could compromise access to the boiler stat...

What I really need is a plant room! ?

Edited by Onoff