Mist coat or primer needed on plaster?

Paul F

Looking for some advice. We have a freshly plastered (8 weeks ago) ensuite to tile. Do I need to put anything on the plastered walls prior to tiling it? I've been told yes and no from various places. Any advice would be gratefully received. 

I used this. It's brilliant. Can't remember if I watered the first coat down or not though.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-trade-super-leytex-matt-paint-brilliant-white-15ltr/60248

EDIT: I did water the first coat down. Probably as it says on the tin. Some say I went OTT on my plastered ceiling and walls...

2 coats Leyland Super Leytex 20% water

Gyproc EasiFill 20 as required

Rubbed down

2 coats Leyland Super Leytex neat

3 coats Dulux Diamond Matt

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

What Nod said - diluted SBR. Any brand SBR as prices can vary a fair bit and its all still SBR.

That said, I have a feature wall to tile in heavy split faced stone (onto backer board not plaster) and have picked up some tile master prime and grip to try as it came highly recommended by, er, the shop? I do like tilemaster stuff though and I can pick it up locally.

Never PVA though as someone above has already mentioned.

40 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

I think people need to give their heads a wobble in this thread the guy has asked what primer for tiling on to walls and he's been so confused by all the off piste answers he was about to use emulsion as a primer!!

Whoops! I couldn't have read that more wrong. Sorry there @Paul F! Deffo do not paint plastered walls before tiling. Proper tile primer. 

• Like 1