Hands up if you've rolled a roller!

ToughButterCup

Yep; you guessed it, I can. Lucky the digger was next to it and available to put it back on its feet.

One of the lads working with me pointed out that it really wasn't necessary to go everywhere at full revs and full speed.

I am making a nice little car park for @MrsRA so she can drive in and out of the site in first gear - same for deliveries: safe off-road, off site parking. No need to access the site itself. Good CDM2015 practice, so I read.

And big stones hide under the hardcore and tip unsuspecting rollers over - right over, half way down a bank

Such fun self-building innit?

ahh if it was a push along you were not SO lucky, its the ride along ones that have a fairly good chance of landing on you, same with the little skip loading dumpers, and believe it or not they are too heavy to push of yourself. Never done it myself but i have heard some pretty nasty stories from the old guys at work :o 

This is me on a "proper" roller. At my BIL's farm in Queensland a few years ago.  That re defines the meaning of "shake rattle and roll"

It was the most weird thing to drive. It was basically controlled with a hand throttle (that kept adjusting itself) with a decelerator peddle if you want to slow down. Mind it was nowhere near as weird to drive as the buldozer......roller.JPG

thats the kiddy, I spent a good 6 hrs on the beast and i don't think i managed to get more than 2 turns right/smooth, weather i should have been using the clutch or the brake it didn't matter i would pull/press the wrong one xD pulling the mole was fine as thats when you just use the clutches to keep straight, But at the ends you have to clutch, brake, and pull the mole out all at the same time..... bit too much for my little monkey brain to get to grips with.

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

But at the ends you have to clutch, brake, and pull the mole out all at the same time..... bit too much for my little monkey brain to get to grips with.

7 years after getting rid of my Suzuki Swift, I still turn the wipers on when I intend to indicate.

I like cars what were designed as right hand drive from the start.

Have you guys never drove proper old school tractors, ?

Little Massey 165 multipower :) (or its baby brother the 135)

Hand throttle as well as foot throttle, and two foot brakes, one for each rear wheel so you could turn it on itself,

And the requisite two gearboxes of course,

I'll bet a few of the Irish lads (&lasses) learnt to drive on something like that, 

Edited by Steptoe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

7 years after getting rid of my Suzuki Swift, I still turn the wipers on when I intend to indicate.

I like cars what were designed as right hand drive from the start.

They were designed as right hand cars from the start, it's just that Japan standardised to indicator on the right.  Someone once told me that in the UK the indicator stalk used to be on the right, but changed over time due to the number of Euro imports.  Not sure whether that's true. 

I lived in Australia for several years and most non-European cars have the indicator stalk on the right.  It actually makes a lot of sense, because you can operate the indicator while you're changing gears during lane changes or coming up to an intersection.

It's a pain changing over though, for sure.  I find it easier to change between left hand and right hand drive than to switch indicator sides!

6 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I turned hay on a 135 for most of my childhood. I can still remember the old man shouting that I don't NEED to turn on a sixpence at full speed at the end of every row. ?

Yes you do.  It pays off later in life.  All the accidents and adventures I had in vehicles taught me valuable roadcraft skills.

I now get cheap insurance and very really scare myself these days. :D

7 minutes ago, jack said:

I find it easier to change between left hand and right hand drive than to switch indicator sides

Glad it is not just me.  30 years of the indicator on the right and then they have to change it.

Like my mothers fridge, for 22 years it was hinged on the right, now it is on the left.  After 7 years, I still open it the wrong way (actually, I don't open it, just rock it a bit till the pot plant falls off).

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jack said:

They were designed as right hand cars from the start, it's just that Japan standardised to indicator on the right.  Someone once told me that in the UK the indicator stalk used to be on the right, but changed over time due to the number of Euro imports.  Not sure whether that's true. 

I lived in Australia for several years and most non-European cars have the indicator stalk on the right.  It actually makes a lot of sense, because you can operate the indicator while you're changing gears during lane changes or coming up to an intersection.

It's a pain changing over though, for sure.  I find it easier to change between left hand and right hand drive than to switch indicator sides!

Tell me about it! I have to change gear with one hand and reach through the steering wheel and indicate with the other...

Both my mid-nouhgties Ricers though have the indicator stalk on the left. Annoyingly they alternate in wipers operating from the stalk up or down