Who is experienced with Amazon?

This my all turn out fine but you know what they say about things that are too good to be true.

I normally use eBay for buying stuff online and pay through paypal and the protection has always been great, but i just couldn't refuse this deal. 

but i have got a horrible feeling this is some kinda scam so i thought i would ask for some advice before i need it.

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 22.42.35.png

I have just bought this with one click buy through amazon, but reading the description further i see it says i should have emailed him BEFORE i bought it. 

so i emailed him afterwards anyway with this.

Hi I have just ordered the 

Makita SP6000J1 240V 165MM Plunge Saw With 2 x 1.4M Rails, Connector Bar & Bag

you are selling on amazon, the order has gone through so i assume everything is ok but in the description it asks for me to contact you via this email, 
I’m not sure why but this is me contacting you..

Edward Graves

------------------
He  replied with this :

Who is the  price?

--------------------

I replied with this:

It said £191
I have already paid.
Edward Graves

-----------------

He then replied with this:

Hello,
First of all let me apologize for the late answer.
Let me explain you how you can buy  Makita SP6000J1 240V 165MM Plunge Saw With 2 x 1.4M Rails
The item is brand new, never used, but i can't list it as a new product due to Amazon policy, they don't allow me to list it as a new product. The item will comes with original box and accessories and 2 year international warranty.
If you are wondering why the price is lower than the usual,it is because we have some promotional prices . The offer lasts 7 days.
The total price is £191.00, including all shipping costs to Europe. If you want to buy it, please send me your shipping address(phone number, your complete name, street name and number, zip code and city) I will immediately send the required data to Amazon Department. They will contact you with the order and details about payment and shipping. You will have to complete the payment with them. Dispatch will be by normal UPS Services, which takes 3-5 days, depending on where in the United Kingdom you are located.
My return policy is full refund in 21 days.
For more information, please don't hesitate to contact me!
Many Thanks

-----------------------------

and my final response was this

My shipping address is:
Edward Graves
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxx
xxx
xxxxxx

I am a little confused as the order has already gone through and is set to be sent to that address, Also I have already paid?
Edward Graves

---------

he is yet to respond and this was sent at 21.30.

now this all could end up ok and i will get £350 worth of rail saw turn up between the 19th and the 23rd

question is what happens if it doesnt? I paid by debit card so haven't got the protection of a CC,

I have never had to deal with Amazon for things like this before, are they any good with customer protection????

any advice welcome.

Ed

Edit: i sent a screen shot of the invoice in the last response but it doesnt seem to have copied across? also i sent him my real address not a bunch of x's

I ended up using the file claim process after an order failed to materialise. Can't remember now if it was out of stock or they wouldn't deliver up here. IIRC you have to contact them first and if they fail to respond, file a claim (time limits apply). Having filed my claim, my money was refunded. I think the sellers refunded rather than Amazon in my case but from what I remember, Amazon operate an escrow type operation with sellers accounts. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201889730

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You should get a refund if it doesn't arrive / isn't what it's advertised as, it'll just be the hassle and delay of going through the process.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stones said:

I don't think you have anything to worry about. You should get a refund if it doesn't arrive / isn't what it's advertised as, it'll just be the hassle and delay of going through the process.

cool, I assume they must have a fairly robust returns/claims policy as they are such a big company but i have just never had to use it with them.

Im half waiting for an email from a fake amazon account asking for me to pay for the item again, at which point i will report the seller.

then again it may all turn out fine, Im not going to be hasty but it all just sounds a bit dodgy to me, also doesn't help that i can't find the package anywhere for less than £350

so £191 is a bit too much of a discount for me not to be suspicious,

I suppose i will have to wait and see. If it does turn up as advertised I will be a very happy boy :) 

4 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

jeez,

they can be bought for well under £350

a joiner I work with got one just before xmas for iirc 220£ + vat , (may have been a different model though )

with 2 rails?  I Will be impressed if you can find me a link

the rails are over £50 each. the connectors and bag are both about £30

so as far as i can see ill be getting the saw for about £31 if all goes well and it turns out not to be a scam

edit: this is assuming i get 2 connectors like my friends kit came with, There about £13 each ish

2 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

not without putting it through work. I mean i could if i really wanted to put the effort in but I'm not self employed anymore so its just a hassle ATM

ah right, sorry, I thought you could put it through the house,

I find best deals for 200£ + tools are often either via knowing the sellers  and getting ex-display / demo stuff, or the trade fairs last day when they really dont want to take stuff back home.

TBH i have already got 1 rail and a bag so i don't actually need the whole Kit, But for £191 INC it is a slightly unbelievable price, I have been googling it most of this evening ;) 

Funnily enough Anglia tools is kind of where i would have bought it from otherwise as i think they are in partnership with Ridgeons (my local BM)

this is their comparative Kit

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/makita-sp6000k1-165mm-circular-plunge-saw-240v-kit-pid43897.html

1 minute ago, Construction Channel said:

TBH i have already got 1 rail and a bag so i don't actually need the whole Kit, But for £191 INC it is a slightly unbelievable price, I have been googling it most of this evening ;) 

Funnily enough Anglia tools is kind of where i would have bought it from otherwise as i think they are in partnership with Ridgeons (my local BM)

this is their comparative Kit

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/makita-sp6000k1-165mm-circular-plunge-saw-240v-kit-pid43897.html

FFX sometimes have good deals on,

• Like 1

and the plot thickens

I just got this from the seller

Hello,
I was informed by Amazon that they send you all the payment and delivery informations. Search your inbox carefully and also check your bulk/spam/junk folder because it might have arrived there.
Please let me know asap.

Thank you!

-----------------

So i replied

Yes i did get the “auto confirm” email from amazon

*insert screenshot of confirmation email*

Assuming this is all cleared up I am happy to just wait for the package.  It was just the “email you first” part that confused me.
as long as i receive what was advertised on or around the projected delivery date i will happily give you top feedback

all the best
Ed

---------------------------

the funny thing is i have also just received another email into my junk folder of this

Amazon        

Order Confirmation

Hello,

Thank you for shopping with us.

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you purchase products on Amazon. That is why we guarantee purchases from Amazon Marketplace, Auctions, zShops and Merchant sellers when you use Amazon Payments. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed.

Arriving: 
Thursday, Jan 19 -
Friday, Jan 20

Your delivery option: 
Standard Delivery

Your order will be sent to: 
Edward Graves

Order Details

Order #204-9387171-0934614
Placed on Jan 16, 2017
  Makita SP6000J1 240V 165MM Plunge Saw With 2 x 1.4M Rails
Condition: New
Sold by Ribeir0barr Ltd
£191.00

Item Subtotal: £191.00
Postage & Packing: £0.00

Order Total: £191.00
Selected Payment Method: Bank Transfer

Payment Details

• The payment method available for this order is Bank Transfer by Amazon Payments.
• The payment will be sent to Amazon International Payments. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely.

How to complete payment
• Select an International Transfer.
• Payment Reference / Message: "BV54GC388N3"
• Send the payment at local Bank Agency or by Internet Banking (see payment details below).

Amazon Payment Bank Details:

ACCOUNT NAME:

IBAN:

BIC/SWIFT:

BANK NAME:

BANK ADDRESS:

Ciprian Alexandru Demeter

ES47 0081 0367 1000 0154 8556

BSABESBB

BANCO DE SABADELL, S.A.

28001 MADRID, SPAIN  

Information and instruction about order:

Click here If you need further assistance.
Amazon Payments - Guarantee Protection:
We guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via Amazon Payments. Customers who pay for purchases from Amazon Marketplace via Amazon Payments are eligible to receive all amount of the purchase price, including delivery charges.
Please note if you need further assistance, please contact Amazon Payments

We hope to see you again soon.
Amazon Marketplace

but this was sent from

support@amazon-az-marketplace.com

xD 

don't worry I am not going to be sending any money anywhere 

lets see how he responds.....

I have given up hiding my address (its not to hard to find anyway)

I'm getting more sceptical by the minute 

note the order number is different, the sellers name is different, the payment method is different, the delivery timescale is different and so is the item description..... xD 

i'm going to have fun with this.

This seems to definitely be a phishing scam

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201909120

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200213150

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_201887920_to_201889310_2?nodeId=201889310

How would someone not know the price of their own item.

As you have identified the email address is incorrect on the second email.

Also Amazon would pass on your address details he doesn't need them.

That isn't an Amazon payment at all, it is a direct payment to the guy's bank account. If you paid to that account you would not be protected by Amazon and they would not refund the money.

Finally that would cost a fortune to post from outside the UK, it is a heavy bulky item plus the rails are 1.4m long. It is highly unlikely a seller outside the UK could offer a sensible price.

I would make sure and cancel the order, it is not clear to me that he cannot claim the order has arrived and have Amazon bill you, although in that case it would be refunded. You should also contact Amazon and report the seller.

PS

At Christmas I checked my credit card statements, we (mainly my wife) had 290 transactions with Amazon last year. Does that make me an expert?

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

I'd report it now.  This scam relies on ignorant people contacting him by email before paying via Amazon.  Since you already paid via Amazon, I suspect you're no longer a target and won't hear from him again.