Copper pipe - not seen that before

Pocster

Guys are here connecting up uvc and ASHP . All the internal connections they do in copper . I assumed this was solder , sweat , blow torch etc . But it’s not ! They effectively ‘crimp’ special copper fittings together . Looks as easy as hep2o ! 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Yes it will be crimp, becoming popular and looks very neat.  But not really for DIY as the crimp tool is very expensive.

maybe if it can be hired reasonable -- but i doubt anyone will be organised enough with the build for that to work 

think i i will still be using my shrink fit type from uponor - good compromise  and tool was only £100 and uses wilwaukee batteries 

except if you have rodent problem --but again on new house there should be places for them to infest you and chew your pipes

Edited by scottishjohn

We used copper b press on heating installation from 2005 onwards for the local council jobs (gas pipe where still soldered although you can get copper press fit for that aswell). Then we picked up second hand machines on German ebay (ebay.de) for a few hundred euros. The heads only fit one size and type of fitting so we needed 4 heads 15&22 mm copper and 16 & 20mm uponor. Cracking system. New machine approx £800 plus £80 for each head now. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Crap installation of both the mag filter and the valve with handle before it. How are you supposed to get the mag unit off ..??

Waiting for examination of the photo .

Just for the record installed by a company recommended many times on here !

Edited by pocster

On 28/09/2020 at 12:41, pocster said:

Yeah that’s what the guy said around 1600 for the tool . Just not seen it before .

HSS have REMS crimper for hire, think its around £110 for a week, not cheap but you could do a lot of joints in a week.