Italian Import

Guest Alphonsox

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Would the duct have 3 90 degree bends which would really badly impact the flow speed. One as it goes into the floor another as it comes back up to avoid the outside ground level and then another to exit the build. Would be possible to only have one as it goes into the floor and straight out but the ground level outside will need to be very low to suit this.

One of the other things I noticed was the amount of space underneath the worktop you lose (albeit the showroom installation may not have been optimum).   Perhaps @philkenny could take a picture or two of his installation ductwork to give a better idea.

i bought from Parkes Interiors belfast, just the bora not our kitchen. We have ours installed in the island and lose about 15cm under the hob but the ducting does not interfere with the cupboard space. Unfortunately I have no photod on this computer

Guest Alphonsox
5 hours ago, philkenny said:

i bought from Parkes Interiors belfast, just the bora not our kitchen. We have ours installed in the island and lose about 15cm under the hob but the ducting does not interfere with the cupboard space. Unfortunately I have no photod on this computer

Thanks and was that for the ceramic or induction version?

• 2 weeks later...

We have been very pleased with the bora, hob works just as well as a previous induction hob we had and is easy to use. As for the extractor we have it ducted outside and it works just like use see on the videos. A little noisy on the highest setting but nowhere near as bad as most overhead extractors

7 hours ago, philkenny said:

We have been very pleased with the bora, hob works just as well as a previous induction hob we had and is easy to use. As for the extractor we have it ducted outside and it works just like use see on the videos. A little noisy on the highest setting but nowhere near as bad as most overhead extractors

thank you thats great. think I am going to go for bora recirculating, not sure I would need outside ducting with MVHR and besides it would be a huge pain to get that sorted from the island in the middle of the room. we are having the mbc passive slab with UF heat in at slab stage so no floor build up.

Hi @Alphonsox

Interested to know what you decided. 

We've specified the Elica in our kitchen, the kitchen company we are thinking of going for have quoted:

2017-02-11_10-41-26.jpg.e3170299e044b748a2d633b4080e912c.jpg

(Those prices EXCLUDE VAT!)

Which is just scary! I love the design but not sure I can stomach the crazy cost.

Which UK suppliers did you find? Elica obviously control supply in the UK as its impossible to find prices online. :( 

Guest Alphonsox

Ouch - that price is just frightening. For that price you could have two weeks in Italy, bring the hob back as hand luggage and still have change.

I haven't made a final choice as yet - we're meeting the kitchen company tomorrow so I may have a better idea after that. The only UK place on my shopping list is the Belfast company @philkenny used (that was for a Bora basic induction hob). I intend to make some enquires around Dublin to see is there is still some savings to be made on the Euro exchange rate. Failing that I may well go for the Italian Import option.

2 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Ouch - that price is just frightening. For that price you could have two weeks in Italy, bring the hob back as hand luggage and still have change.

Agreed! And thats not such a bad idea :) 

I'm totally and utterly fed up with kitchen companies. They just mess about with pricing to try and obscure your ability to properly compare the market. 

The last one I spoke too didn't even seem to understand the zero VAT element of new build! 

Let me know how you get on! 

4 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I'm totally and utterly fed up with kitchen companies. They just mess about with pricing to try and obscure your ability to properly compare the market. 

The last one I spoke too didn't even seem to understand the zero VAT element of new build! 

I imagine that the vast proportion of showroom kitchen company business is replacement and upgrade, not new build. I'd even guess that a trade place like Howdens only has a fraction of new build business given that the vast majority of new builds are developer led.

We also had to spell out the finer details of self build VAT rules to our kitchen firm, ensuring that the (quite expensive) extractor was VAT free as they'd lumped it in with all the other appliances which attract VAT.

Between locking the spec and ordering for delivery, a few of our appliances had been discontinued but we got upgrades to better models for no extra charge - probaly would not have had that luck if ordering as individuals.

Our Hacker kitchen is also offered by a few firms so it was easy enough to do a price comparison once we had locked the spec. Stone and glass were also easy to check.

The only real variable is the quality of the fitting, our guy was great - if hard to schedule. He practically did a bespoke job for the utility as there were some odd shapes in the vaulted roof and he also had a gas flue and two 180mm external MVHR ducts to deal with. Ended up ordering a bunch of new panels to finish it properly vs what had been delivered, again at no extra cost. 

27 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

For info, we lost around £450 as a consequence of our kitchen supplier not understanding the self-build VAT rules, despite me giving then a written copy that's still in their file.  It was, admittedly, partly my fault, for not checking all 48 items on the invoice individually and carefully, but they've admitted it was primarily their error, but aren't going to refund me.................

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

Our Hacker kitchen is also offered by a few firms so it was easy enough to do a price comparison once we had locked the spec. Stone and glass were also easy to check.

We had discounted hacker as the local supplier fitted price was just ludicrous! Nearly double anything else we had looked at. 

I have seen a Bora basic now and its a great piece of kit, our local Siematic showroom has one installed.  Its the one for me, going for the basic 4 zone not the bridged zones, thats not worth an extra 1k to me. I can cook on the 4 zone one well enough.  Now I just have to decide on the kitchen to put it in and that is a whole other storey!

Was looking at German kitchens but may have to scale back on budget. Burbage has been recommended as good English make. Anyone know them?

Bora is a good product and a number of others are copying the design. Whether anyone has been able to replicate the claimed science behind Bora hobs is unknown.

Burbidge is a door supplier (and an expensive one at that, for no obvious reason that I can see). They dont do kitchens, so you would be relying on your kitchen supplier to source a good quality carcase and fittings  and then make a good job of bringing it all together into a package that is going to last 20 years.

I personally remain unconvinced that component sourcing and assembly is the way to buy a kitchen. Ultimately a kitchen is only as good as its carcase and even the best chipboard is no good if it isnt cut square, edged with 2mm ABS edging, drilled correctly for hinges and runners etc. PP edging that is common on these types of kitchens are not a patch on quality ABS edging. Hinges and runners drilled on proper jigs and CNC's are far superior to those drilled with a tape and pillar drill. One can buy the best runners and drawer boxes but if they are not fitted perfectly aligned, they will prematurely wear out.

Guest Alphonsox
On 11/02/2017 at 12:53, Barney12 said:

Update  - I spent a couple of hours today at the Belfast Self Build show, one of the kitchen companies there was offering the Bora Basic recirculating induction hob (BIU)  for just shy of £2000. This ticks a lot of boxes for our kitchen design, I'm very tempted.

Just now, Alphonsox said:

Update  - I spent a couple of hours today at the Belfast Self Build show, one of the kitchen companies there was offering the Bora Basic recirculating induction hob (BIU)  for just shy of £2000. This ticks a lot of boxes for our kitchen design, I'm very tempted.

National company or NI only?

Guest Alphonsox

It's a NI kitchen company called "Stormer Designs". This is supposed to be a special "show only" discount of 20% off their standard sales price.

4 hours ago, Barney12 said:

National company or NI only?

Ive been quoted £2189 inc vat ..thats with a 20% discount without asking. Thats for the Bora basic

from Angel appliances based in Surrey. www.angelappliances.co.uk really helpful man Andrew will quote you on any appliance you are buying as well as Bora. He told me not to go for the Elica nowhere near as good as Bora.

On 14/02/2017 at 12:28, ryder72 said:

Bora is a good product and a number of others are copying the design. Whether anyone has been able to replicate the claimed science behind Bora hobs is unknown.

Burbidge is a door supplier (and an expensive one at that, for no obvious reason that I can see). They dont do kitchens, so you would be relying on your kitchen supplier to source a good quality carcase and fittings  and then make a good job of bringing it all together into a package that is going to last 20 years.

I personally remain unconvinced that component sourcing and assembly is the way to buy a kitchen. Ultimately a kitchen is only as good as its carcase and even the best chipboard is no good if it isnt cut square, edged with 2mm ABS edging, drilled correctly for hinges and runners etc. PP edging that is common on these types of kitchens are not a patch on quality ABS edging. Hinges and runners drilled on proper jigs and CNC's are far superior to those drilled with a tape and pillar drill. One can buy the best runners and drawer boxes but if they are not fitted perfectly aligned, they will prematurely wear out.

Thank you! Think I may stick with the German after reading that. Some hard negotiation may be needed