Roofing under a tent

Tony K

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I fancy having a play with some of those systems, I like polyurethanes.

If you have some left over, let me know.

I’m a long way off from doing this, do you want to do a bit of research on different types, as I’m sure you have nothing better to do ??

It will probably come in a 25kg drum so I will have a fair bit left over. 

Thanks for everything posted on this so far.

Regarding the two great threads that @Ferdinanddug out, my original concern was avoiding exactly the issues that affected the schedule, budget and mental health of @andyscotland!

My own roof is 100m2, and so erecting a scaffold structure over the whole lot seems unrealistic, if only in cost terms. 

I have looked into rubber roofing as suggested. I feel I now have three options:

1. GRP.

2. Liquid rubber roofing.

3. EDPM in sheets.

1. As a DIY option GRP seems fraught with pitfalls, especially in the winter. I have found a series of very clear educational videos and was confident I could follow them, but not necessarily quickly enough to do the job well on dry days between rainy periods, which it seems is what roofers do. Pre-forming the boards as proposed by @SteamyTea is an interesting idea, but requires a reasonably large workshop, which I don't have.

One roofer who appears knowledgeable (and expensive) informs me that he rarely uses GRP now, almost exclusively rubber in one form or another. His thinking is that whilst GRP has a nicer look to it, doing it well requires far more care, attention and cost than is commonly allocated, making rubber the better option in comparison. He basically thinks that there are a lot of bad GRP roofs out there where corners have been cut.

2. Liquid rubber roofing seems almost too good to be true. From what I can see, you pre-form the edges and joins as with GRP, then mix up the stuff and paint it on:

HOWEVER, a manufacturer I spoke to informed me that the product doesn't like the rain much more than GRP does, and though the rubber is breathable and will eventually allow bubbles etc out, that doesn't help stop problems with bonding. 

As with GRP, I would be left trying to get the deck on, and the finish too all in the space of one dry period. Possible, but not ideal. 

3. Rubber sheet roofing looks good, and whilst this chap appeared concerned about the weather when laying it.....

... it does at least go down very quickly and seems to protect the deck the second you lay it down. I presume I could even leave the sheet sitting loose on the deck as a cover either overnight once I finish the deck, or on the day of the job if rain does suddenly turn up? 

Any ideas and suggestions gratefully received as always!

Thanks

Despite being a GRP convert the rubber sheet does look quick but....”.Only other complications are a series of small rooflights.” .....how will you deal with these with rubber sheet?. A flat roof I can understand but roof lights may cause you problems. I have never dealt with “rubber paint “.

Edited by joe90

20 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Despite being a GRP convert the rubber sheet does look quick but....”.Only other complications are a series of small rooflights.” .....how will you deal with these with rubber sheet?. A flat roof I can understand but roof lights may cause you problems. I have never dealt with “rubber paint “.

Seems pretty easy actually...

There are also various instruction videos from suppliers that show similar techniques. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Look up some vids by a bloke called Steve from London flat roofing, he has loads on the different liquid types. 

The one I looked at sets up with contact with moisture not air so is completely unaffected by the damp. 

Steve is the knowledge roofer I referred to a couple of posts ago! 

Interestingly, he offers a consulting service for DIY roofers which I may well make use of. 

• Like 1

I have done One GRP roof. Never again. It is messy and hard work. If you want GRP use a professional. I have done about 20 EPDM roofs including lots of roof lights. Don't be fooled by the video above. The weather will prop now require you to use the solvent based adhesive. That is very hard work. The newish rubber systems, i will be exploring for any future flat roofing. P.S. My oldest EPDM roof is about 12 years. None of my EPDM roofs have ever leaked.

10 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

I have done One GRP roof. Never again. It is messy and hard work. If you want GRP use a professional. I have done about 20 EPDM roofs including lots of roof lights. Don't be fooled by the video above. The weather will prop now require you to use the solvent based adhesive. That is very hard work. The newish rubber systems, i will be exploring for any future flat roofing. P.S. My oldest EPDM roof is about 12 years. None of my EPDM roofs have ever leaked.

Very useful thanks. Rubber roofs just seem more appropriate for a DIYer in winter. 

What makes the solvent adhesive up stands such hard work?

5 hours ago, Tony K said:

Very useful thanks. Rubber roofs just seem more appropriate for a DIYer in winter. 

What makes the solvent adhesive up stands such hard work?

It's not the upstands alone Tony. The whole roof will have to be done with the contact adhesive. (The waterbased one can only be used in summer) The contact type adhesive is One go. Get a bubble and it will be staying.

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

It's not the upstands alone Tony. The whole roof will have to be done with the contact adhesive. (The waterbased one can only be used in summer) The contact type adhesive is One go. Get a bubble and it will be staying.

Ah, understood. Thanks.