Oops. Didn't get that bit right! Eaves slates will rattle a bit!.

dnb

It would appear I have failed to do basic maths when I put up the fascia, felt trays and vents on the north side of the roof. (Thankfully we haven't done the south side yet). I put a handful of slates up yesterday evening so I could check everything was OK before I started on paying for help, and found that the eaves slates rattle a bit because they are lifted just off the vents at the bottom. This is of course unacceptable. If we were in America, I would be accused of incorrectly (or not) fitting a 'cant strip'. But this appears to be US terminology not in common use in the UK - do we have an equivilent term?

I have obviously not allowed for the correct number of slate thicknesses when putting up the fascia etc, allowing a 6mm gap to appear between the eaves slates and the over fascia vents when the field slates are laid. I'm very cross with myself naturally enough for such a trivial oversight, but now it needs fixing, preferably in an easy way.

Options, from hard to easy:

1 - remove fascia and nail it back up 6mm higher. (A LOT of work)

2 - Put a shim on the top of the fascia under the felt trays and then screw the vents back down. (A couple of hours work at the most)

3 - any suggestions from here?

4 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

strip of self-adhesive foam rubber? Bed and damp the slates in one.

I personally thing the above is a great idea. 3M i believe produce such tapes in various thicknesses. When you stick it on you then heat it with a hairdrier and it sets the glue. The rubber wont rot, and having used the tape, once heated, it ain't coming off. Check out ebay for it.

27 minutes ago, dnb said:

I like the foam rubber idea! Might even have some from various car projects. Really not keen to move the fascia...

If it is black it will not be noticeable.  You could just stick it to the top of the vent.  I assume this is not a hipped roof, so you can do this bit in isolation.  Make sure 6mm is enough.

My roofer did a brilliant job with my slates but one small section (or even one slate) on the windy side of the roof “rattles” in high winds, problem is I don’t fancy being up a long ladder in high winds to identify the offending slate! Make sure you get them tight.

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

You could just stick it to the top of the vent.  I assume this is not a hipped roof, so you can do this bit in isolation. 

That would be the plan if I go this way. It is not a hipped roof so yes, this side is isolated. 

I would use tape thicker than 6mm so it can compress.  I don't want any rattles in the wind!  I am still considering route 2 on my original list having found what looks like suitable way of "stretching" the fascia upwards.

51 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My roofer did a brilliant job with my slates but one small section (or even one slate) on the windy side of the roof “rattles” in high winds, problem is I don’t fancy being up a long ladder in high winds to identify the offending slate! Make sure you get them tight.

Perhaps you could put on a wing suit. Just incase you get carried away. I would run up a ladder in my younger years without a thought. Not so keen now. Learn to embrace the rattle Jo. When it starts, you can say to yourself, "Yep, tiles still attached"

• Haha 1

Problem solved. I made a few shim strips out of a roofing batten using a table saw and inserted them on the fascia, under the felt trays and vents. It all screwed back together nicely. I will probably use the thinnest neoprene foam strip I can find on the vents - say 2-3mm -  to give the slates something to bed on. The boss is very keen to not have a roof with rattles!

20200909_191113.thumb.jpg.57888639b775969405d6ffab864e0ae8.jpg

• Thanks 1