MVHR - Intake and exhaust ducts lenghts

Hi,

I have read on a few sites that to achieve the best possible efficiency, it is best to keep the intake and exhaust duct length below 1.5m. Depending on the location of the unit, it may not always be possible so I was just curious...how much impact it would really have, if the length was over this 1.5m recommendation.

Thank you

Edited by NickK

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Nick Laslett said:

Unless fitted in the roof, one pipe will need two 90 degree turns to exit building and be far enough away from other pipe. 

IIRC our outside vents are 3.5m apart so our pipework is 5m for one vent and 1.5m for the other. I used 45 degree bends to reduce restriction of air flow.

1 hour ago, Nick Laslett said:

This seems like a bit of a contradiction, if the minimum recommended distance between Intake and Exhaust is 3m, how do you keep the distance to 1.5m. Unless fitted in the roof, one pipe will need two 90 degree turns to exit building and be far enough away from other pipe. 

Correct. That’s not a problem at all. 

15 minutes ago, Nick Laslett said:

Thank you Peter. Is the 1.5m pipe the intake?

No it's the exhaust. I thought because the exhaust is more likely to have condensation in it I would want it to drain quickly. The ducting slopes down to the outside vents and I've used 45 degree bends spaced apart.

I have done some calcs on this and given the other drops (pressure) in the system, it appears acceptable to have a few meters of pipe on that side.

The following is for my nominal flow of 132m3 and ~5m of pipe.

I allowed for 4 bends (1-2 to form a U after leaving the unit upwards, 3 to turn horizontal on the floor and 4 to hit the cowling).

image.png.7ffa6a1d3fcd2abdf4b4bc2fb072dbc1.png

Tony is right though, if the runs get longer you may need to go up a step on diameter.

By comparison, a 15m 75mm double run with one bend along the way to a bathroom extracting 45m3/h will have around 40Pa drop.

image.png.c4800833f861fe8703c639364f0d8792.png

This is excluding the pressure drops in the pipe, mufflers, bends and the distribution box.

P.S. These are all my own calculations.

Edited by Levo