Material / design for non-slip footpaths?

Does anyone have views / experience for a choice of materials and build suggestions for paths to a front door to be resilient to snow 'n' ice?

More a general question brought on by taking the dustbin out on a frosty morning and an 80 year old person in the house than an urgent need.

Finishes that I have around my house include Pressed Council slabs, gravel and aggregate-exposed concrete.

Of those:

Council Slabs are an elevated patio on adjustable rises, and is very well drained but perfectly flat so sometimes gets ice puddles.

Gravel is perfect but more difficult for eg wheelchairs.

Exposed aggrgate concrete looks OK and drains well as it has a fall, and is good until conditions become a little more extreme.

Ferdinand

Resin bonded gravel I'm thinking.

I guess there's a consideration if they fall and the surface is rough...though they'll hopefully be wrapped up if it's cold.

Handrail if the runs not too long? (I put some in to assist my elderly parents up some steps in their garden).

(I seriously debated running trace heating cables up my sloping drive set a "car's width" apart so just where the tyres go is kept ice free).

I am using gravel in Nida Gravel plastic grids [£8.99/m2 trade + vat + del].

The plastic drive systems solve the wheelchair issue, also cars.

The gravel is open to water transmission.

Simple, easy to construct and maintain.

The real pain is when/if you try to shovel snow off the path, then some gravel ends up getting shovelled too. But otherwise this is a good solution because the residual snow on the path melts easily through the gravel, and there is good grip from the stone to prevent slip.

When I looked at resin bonded gravel it seemed expensive.

I reckon you could sling down some generic 2-pack PU resin on existing, cleaned concrete and chuck gravel over it. Presume you need to "edge" the area to stop it spreading too far....line of silicon maybe? I guess fibreglass resin would work too.

I wonder.....could you acid etch the concrete then pour floor paint and cover that in gravel?

4 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

That looks very expensive - to install and run. O.o

Hes going to run it on Procrastanium. A sustainable, highly renewable and green energy source.

Edited by daiking
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, daiking said:

Hes going to run it on Procrastanium. A sustainable, highly renewable and green energy source.

PMSL!

I reckon you might just get the record for the most "likes" with that!

:):):)