Slate roof - clipped end slates

Bozza

The scaffolding is just coming down on my self build.  I’ve noticed the roofer has clipped the end roof slates at 45 degrees.  Has anyone seen this before or know any reason for doing it? It creates an optical illusion that makes the rook look like it curves up at the end.  The site is quite exposed (NE Scotland) to wind so just wondering if it’s something to do with that.

pic attached.

1BAA5924-ED5E-4579-942F-E28A7556485B.jpeg

My best guess would be that un clipped corners would be susceptible to snapping In high winds, but I’ve seen loads of slate roofs without this feature.  I’m sure someone here will know for sure.  The slaters were subbied by my builder and awaiting their response but that may take a while.

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I was told this is to stop water tracking down the edge and on to the gable end.

Ahhhh I see,  that would make sense, drips would run down the 45 cut corner back toward the roof.  But wonder why this is not done on all slate roofs.  

1 hour ago, Bozza said:

But wonder why this is not done on all slate roofs.

some roofs tilt the end tiles up a little to have the same effect, my slate roof is a hip roof so not done, next time I see my roofer I will ask him.

1 hour ago, Bozza said:

Ahhhh I see,  that would make sense, drips would run down the 45 cut corner back toward the roof.  But wonder why this is not done on all slate roofs.  

I've only done it on a few jobs and it's usually when requested by the client or architect

6 minutes ago, makie said:

I've only done it on a few jobs and it's usually when requested by the client or architect

ok Makie so is it for water tracking as Joe90 was told, or some other practical purpose, or is it purely a style / look thing ?

Edited by Bozza

15 minutes ago, Bozza said:

ok Makie so is it for water tracking as Joe90 was told, or some other practical purpose, or is it purely a style / look thing ?

Water tracking was what we were taught during my apprenticeship. Looks nicer to me tbf

On 14/08/2020 at 22:44, makie said:

Water tracking was what we were taught during my apprenticeship. Looks nicer to me tbf

Makie, you said earlier that clipping the end tiles was when asked for by client / architect and also explained about water tracking.  Is it the case that When it’s asked for, It’s for tracking, or just for how it looks and it helps tracking.  Just trying to understand why it was done on my house by the roofers, when not asked for to be done.  Namely would they do it automatically for functionality.

also your opinion kind sir of the attached flashing detail at the dormer.

9577CB6E-FDD7-4AC7-BB9B-20B68E8BB27D.thumb.jpeg.5651bdb351baf25815bc2293860e0b42.jpeg9577CB6E-FDD7-4AC7-BB9B-20B68E8BB27D.thumb.jpeg.5651bdb351baf25815bc2293860e0b42.jpeg

Up here in Argyll some roofers will clip the slates as a standard measure while others will not. It looks better and is functional and if it this was my new roof I would be very pleased as its been done to a high standard. 

3 hours ago, Bozza said:

Makie, you said earlier that clipping the end tiles was when asked for by client / architect and also explained about water tracking.  Is it the case that When it’s asked for, It’s for tracking, or just for how it looks and it helps tracking.  Just trying to understand why it was done on my house by the roofers, when not asked for to be done.  Namely would they do it automatically for functionality.

also your opinion kind sir of the attached flashing detail at the dormer.

9577CB6E-FDD7-4AC7-BB9B-20B68E8BB27D.thumb.jpeg.5651bdb351baf25815bc2293860e0b42.jpeg9577CB6E-FDD7-4AC7-BB9B-20B68E8BB27D.thumb.jpeg.5651bdb351baf25815bc2293860e0b42.jpeg

It might just be the way the roofers were taught.

Lead should be dressed around the corner and under the slate at the bottom of the watergate to allow it to sit down more.

Roofing / slating is one of a number of things I definitely don’t know too much about so Thanks for your replies folks.  So it seems the consensus is that clipping slate is something that is done by some roofers mainly as a design thing but perhaps more likely in Scotland as it has a function benefit (Though not essential) for water tracking.  And that they’ve done a good slating job on my house.

But that the lead work at the dormer needs remedial action.  Wonder why if the slating has been done to a good standard, why the lead work hasn’t.  Doesn’t make sense.

Edited by Bozza

16 hours ago, Bozza said:

Roofing / slating is one of a number of things I definitely don’t know too much about so Thanks for your replies folks.  So it seems the consensus is that clipping slate is something that is done by some roofers mainly as a design thing but perhaps more likely in Scotland as it has a function benefit (Though not essential) for water tracking.  And that they’ve done a good slating job on my house.

But that the lead work at the dormer needs remedial action.  Wonder why if the slating has been done to a good standard, why the lead work hasn’t.  Doesn’t make sense.

Lead work was always a plumbers job, then roofers started doing it on sites so they could get the job done without waiting for a plumber.

Most roofers aren't very good when it comes to lead.

For those who contributed to this I spoke to my project manager re this today.  So regarding the dormer flashing /lead work he said it’s not finished and will be flattened and squared, nothing to worry about.   

Re the clipped tiles he said it was purely a design thing and because I never asked for it No bother to change it back to unclipped tiles if I’d prefer.  He said it takes quite a bit of time to clip them like that but ultimately I’m the client and if I want them replaced no bother at all. He reassured me that they weren’t cutting corners or anything, I replied that’s literally exactly what they were doing.  I was chuffed with that gag and so was he.  Luckily I have a good pm / building company.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Roys said:

Never seen or noticed that 45deg on end slates before, must say I think it looks smart as buttons. 

Me neither a few folk think the same but in real life 3D it creates an impression of the end tiles curling up which I’m not keen on.  A bit of a dilemma for me.

30 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Me neither a few folk think the same but in real life 3D it creates an impression of the end tiles curling up which I’m not keen on.  A bit of a dilemma for me.

Totally your call and sounds like builder is good with whatever your call is, I just really like it, looks good to me and shows a skill level and pride in their work which is sadly lacking at times now.

3 minutes ago, Roys said:

Totally your call and sounds like builder is good with whatever your call is, I just really like it, looks good to me and shows a skill level and pride in their work which is sadly lacking at times now.

Agreed.  I think it looks mega. 

On 18/08/2020 at 16:29, makie said:

Lead work was always a plumbers 

I knew this. However I have never met a plumber who has done lead work....ever. 

I was going to say it doesn't make sense but I suppose in days of old where pipes were lead and hand formed it makes perfect sense...as it was alead working thing rather than a plumber thing. 

Oh dear this is a really terrible dilemma for me.  Everyone seems to like the clipped tiles, and I totally respect your opinions, and I absolutely hate the idea of ripping out such workmanship.  It’s been hot up there on that roof too.   But I’m just not keen on them.