Micro-office

This is possibly more suitable as a blog post. I don’t like working from home, it’s not something that I have ever asked my employer and it has been murder with the schools closed and I don’t have a suitable workspace in the house. My garden room project is a long term thing that can’t be done immediately and it looks like part-time home working for me will be a long term trend.

As such, I should look at what I have and how I can use it. My house has a dark, damp, east facing, unused side return area. It is paved and approx 2m wide by 4m long. It has a wall I could use for a ‘lean to’ structure.

What would it take to create a usable work space, approx 1.2m x 1.8m?

‘Shed’ + insulation + big window + extension lead

Serious suggestion.  Is there anywhere you could park a small touring caravan?  You could buy one for very little and without much work it would make a reasonable temprary office.

( I might have something suitable for sale soon but it would probably be too far away for you)

Things I can do:

make a base floor structure sat on concrete blocks/engineering bricks

screw some 4x2 together to make a structure

felt a roof

Things I can’t do/don’t know

Electrics

How to build off the existing wall

Roof a lean to without having to properly flash in the existing brick course

Edited by daiking

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Serious suggestion.  Is there anywhere you could park a small touring caravan?  You could buy one for very little and without much work it would make a reasonable temprary office.

( I might have something suitable for sale soon but it would probably be too far away for you)

No.

(The drive way narrows to less than 2m through the garden gates)

Edited by daiking
  • Haha 1

Things I’m would need not make:

Door

Window

Things I would need to decide:

Insulation type

Interior finish (I don’t want to be working in a literal shed)

Things I would go with as they’re cheap and simple:

Felt roof

Feather edge cladding

(I would change anything for something cheaper or easier for little extra cost)

OK so look at a shiplap or loglap shed, as they have less gaps for wind to blow through.

Lining can be as simple as EPS and then use a 6mm Ply liner.

In terms of lighting, a decent daylight LED batten that is fixed over the desk will be fine as it doesn't shadow the workspace.

Desk - make one !! Curved is much better, my desk is 1700x800 but only 200mm deep in the centre, with a big curved section in the middle. Excluding storage, the office is 1600x1700 so not a huge space, there is another 400mm width (so actually 2000x1700) that is all storage.

Power - make it low power ! You are talking 30w for the lighting, and PCs take no more than 250-300w so even a single 13A socket would work fine. A mate runs his entire office on an extension lead he plugs in each morning..!

If you are looking at a lean to, then using any of the flashband type products will help you with sealing roof to wall, but a purpose built small shed would be easier and cheaper I expect

33 minutes ago, PeterW said:

OK so look at a shiplap or loglap shed, as they have less gaps for wind to blow through.

Lining can be as simple as EPS and then use a 6mm Ply liner.

In terms of lighting, a decent daylight LED batten that is fixed over the desk will be fine as it doesn't shadow the workspace.

Desk - make one !! Curved is much better, my desk is 1700x800 but only 200mm deep in the centre, with a big curved section in the middle. Excluding storage, the office is 1600x1700 so not a huge space, there is another 400mm width (so actually 2000x1700) that is all storage.

Power - make it low power ! You are talking 30w for the lighting, and PCs take no more than 250-300w so even a single 13A socket would work fine. A mate runs his entire office on an extension lead he plugs in each morning..!

If you are looking at a lean to, then using any of the flashband type products will help you with sealing roof to wall, but a purpose built small shed would be easier and cheaper I expect

Pre-built Shed - I’m struggling to find one with the correct config - window on the short side and door on the opposite short end or opposite end of the long door. Also in stock and not £500+. Window needs to point to only open space, hence short end.

lining - plasterboard would be nice for a more civilised environment but concerns of damp as left unheated 

Lighting - I have some 12w led panels knocking about that I would use. Could plug them in ?

Desk - obviously just need to build something to fit the space when made

Power - close to house so an extension lead but heating would be needed in winter  (1kW) and coffee machine, obviously. 

If I did a lean to, I’d still need to insulate and board the wall so may as just build the 4th wall but board in OSB and Build it next to the wall rather than clad to save money.

Edited by daiking

4 minutes ago, daiking said:

Pre-built Shed - I’m struggling to find one with the correct config - window on the short side and door on the opposite short end or opposite end of the long door. Also in stock and not £500+. Window needs to point to only open space, hence short end.

Try Tiger Sheds Tiger Flex

• Like 1

Specs wise there still a bit of work to do, mainly on the floor. 12mm floor won’t stand up to using a chair and probably needs a frame to insulate.

A lot of attention to detail to keep the bugs out ? 

Probably only going to get 25-50mm insulation on the walls

will need a think about bug sealing, insulating and ventilating the roof 

How long are you likely to have it?

If it's a short-term thing then the cost/hassle of insulation might not pay off compared to just lining it and heating it more. I'd think if you line it with a cheap VCL to make it mostly airtight (and bug tight), by the time there's you, a computer and an electric heater for the really cold days it would be cosy enough. A caravan/tent can be brought up to an acceptable temp even with no insulation...

Obviously not ideal environmentally although even there the embodied carbon in insulation etc might be a factor if this is only for 1-2 winters...

You could line the inside with painted ply or MDF rather than plasterboard to reduce the damp concerns.

8 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

How long are you likely to have it?

If it's a short-term thing then the cost/hassle of insulation might not pay off compared to just lining it and heating it more. I'd think if you line it with a cheap VCL to make it mostly airtight (and bug tight), by the time there's you, a computer and an electric heater for the really cold days it would be cosy enough. A caravan/tent can be brought up to an acceptable temp even with no insulation...

Obviously not ideal environmentally although even there the embodied carbon in insulation etc might be a factor if this is only for 1-2 winters...

You could line the inside with painted ply or MDF rather than plasterboard to reduce the damp concerns.

The indications are that we have at least another 6 months mostly out of the office. 1 day a week max in the office and I *need* something better that how I am currently working whilst heading into Autumn/Winter.

Medium term I will be able to justify working from home part time (although within 2 years we are planning to have a proper large garden room).

And this will just be a shed again.

My office at home is 1000mm x 3600mm as the last 1m of my 6m man-shed. The door is central with the window opposite and then desk / PC / whiteboards to left, files and an A3 & A4 printer to the right. 

As above I just used breather membrane and stapled the life out of it to get it draught-proof and rain tight, and I've not bothered with insulation. A 1500W fan heater warms the space in minutes on it's lowest setting ( 750W thermostatically controlled on the fan heater ( cost £10 )) and as I haven't run the SWA to it yet, all running off the patio outside socket off a 13a extension lead. OSB3 internals and painted white ( water based gloss from B&Q 'own brand' £13 for 5L ) and OSB3 T&G floor with garage floor paint for a clean finish and a bit of vapour control.

Suits me fine but looked like a small space on graph paper. Turned out great. Peace and quiet is priceless. 

2 hours ago, daiking said:

Medium term I will be able to justify working from home part time (although within 2 years we are planning to have a proper large garden room).

And this will just be a shed again.

My hunch would be if it's max 3 years till this is a normal shed (assuming your 2 year build timelines are like mine?) it would definitely be easiest, most economical and probably ok environmentally to do as per @Nickfromwales

2 hours ago, daiking said:

Coffee machine is 1500w so I’ll have to switch the heater off when I use that ?

You can easily run 3kW off a single 13A socket. You can also burst above it for brief periods without the fuse blowing. Obviously you want an actual 13A extension, not a 13A-plug-10A-cable which are common in DIY shops.

A 1kW heater is probably fine, and even then won't pull that full amount the whole time, so you've plenty headroom for a computer, monitor and led lights I'd say, you'd be very unlucky if the heater and coffee machine both hit full load at the same time and for long enough to blow a fuse/cause any issues.

If you were nervous you could always get a spark to fit a 16A garden socket (like a caravan site) tbh they're better for continuous load anyway and for weather exposure etc.

Also tbf at the points the coffee machine is dumping 1.5kW into the room you don't need the heater anyway - it's all heat. You could skip the heater altogether and drink more coffee ?

If you don't find an actual shed the right size/price/shape, it should be a straightforward stick build with a bit of timber and some sheets of OSB. If you make it multiples of sheet sizes you could knock it up very fast. Then gumtree or similar for people getting rid of windows and doors?

Should add that I put metal roof panels atop and when the rain hits it hard it’s loud. So much so that I’m going to fit acoustic insulation in the ceiling and put 15mm sound block plasterboard up just in the 1m x 3.6m bit. Should stay a little warmer in winter too. 
I’ll probably get around to doing that when I can’t feel my fingers any more. 

Edited by Nickfromwales

5 hours ago, andyscotland said:

My hunch would be if it's max 3 years till this is a normal shed (assuming your 2 year build timelines are like mine?) it would definitely be easiest, most economical and probably ok environmentally to do as per @Nickfromwales

You can easily run 3kW off a single 13A socket. You can also burst above it for brief periods without the fuse blowing. Obviously you want an actual 13A extension, not a 13A-plug-10A-cable which are common in DIY shops.

A 1kW heater is probably fine, and even then won't pull that full amount the whole time, so you've plenty headroom for a computer, monitor and led lights I'd say, you'd be very unlucky if the heater and coffee machine both hit full load at the same time and for long enough to blow a fuse/cause any issues.

If you were nervous you could always get a spark to fit a 16A garden socket (like a caravan site) tbh they're better for continuous load anyway and for weather exposure etc.

Also tbf at the points the coffee machine is dumping 1.5kW into the room you don't need the heater anyway - it's all heat. You could skip the heater altogether and drink more coffee ?

If you don't find an actual shed the right size/price/shape, it should be a straightforward stick build with a bit of timber and some sheets of OSB. If you make it multiples of sheet sizes you could knock it up very fast. Then gumtree or similar for people getting rid of windows and doors?

Stick build is great till I think about needing to sort a door and a window and a shed just makes things easier. I would prefer the OSB on the outside so it would still need cladding and takes it to shed money. 6x4 might be a little small (paced out on the kitchen floor) so I might look at the 8x4 size.

You can run a washing machine, a kettle, a toaster and an induction hob plate of a single 4-gang extension lead - but I wouldn't recommend it. I know the electrics would be ok, I think I have a couple of options without having to dangle a lead out of a window.

I don't get the fan heater thing, you get a load of noise and suffocating sauna until it cools and does it all again. Who hasn't worked in a portacabin in the middle of winter where you're sat at your desk getting frostbite on your fingers but when you stand up you faint because the top half of the room is like a sauna. I think I'd rather have a little bit of insulation and a ticking oil rad. 

Edited by daiking

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should add that I put metal roof panels atop and when the rain hits it hard it’s loud. So much so that I’m going to fit acoustic insulation in the ceiling and put 15mm sound block plasterboard up just in the 1m x 3.6m bit. Should stay a little warmer in winter too. 
I’ll probably get around to doing that when I can’t feel my fingers any more. 

Its like car noises, just turn the radio up.

This is the space I have. (The hot tub doesn’t usually live there, I’m waiting for a dry day to clean it and put it away)

There’s room for a 8’x4’ shed (tiles are 600 x 600) with plenty of space to open the french doors and approx 800mm down the side.

I won’t be able to use the French doors for access - that’s my wife’s treatment room but that’s where power will be coming from. The Laurel is in the way and to be honest not doing anything for us. It’s run away in height and covered in a neighbour’s climber of some sort. It just got left and we worked around it. I’m tempted to chop it down and put something else there. We’d love a Ceanothus in the garden but it’s too shady there.

1B267FF0-C516-4652-B77E-BED0556192B7.jpeg

D08A6228-934A-404C-9825-8A533E4BD653.jpeg

72AD9036-F2C8-4824-A09C-314CCAAB33D0.jpeg

• 1 month later...

As diaking has been put back in their room (guest room / home office), I’ll hijack the thread a little bit. 

I have a cheap shed coming which I’ll use as an office. It’s framed with 44mm studs and I was thinking about putting 25mm insulation, followed by vapour barrier, topped with 6mm ply. 

There have been lots of discussions whether there is any point adding insulation. Will 25mm make any noticeable difference? 

58 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

As diaking has been put back in their room (guest room / home office), I’ll hijack the thread a little bit. 

I have a cheap shed coming which I’ll use as an office. It’s framed with 44mm studs and I was thinking about putting 25mm insulation, followed by vapour barrier, topped with 6mm ply. 

There have been lots of discussions whether there is any point adding insulation. Will 25mm make any noticeable difference? 

In addition to this I have recently done a basic budget for a 30 sq m garden room at the bottom of the garden with a view to completion over 12-18 months. Something like 100mm timber frame with insulation and flat roof. This was coming in at £10-12k before extras and paid contractors. So the commercial department have also put a stop on this as well.

Instead the Commercial Manager would like to see a shed summerhouse structure, such as yours, approx 12 sq m, in place in 4-6 weeks for approx £2k. Fortunately, it looks like a lot of suppliers are out of stock until next spring.

• Haha 1