Internal door rough opening size

jamiehamy

Hi all, 

We are building the internal walls at the moment and at the point I need to finalise the internal rough openings for the doors. 

We are going with 826 doors as per our architect spec (I know, I can hear you already!) - I just wanted to check before I put these in what people would size them at. 

The lining is 18mm, so 36mm total - plus 2mm on either side? So that would give 866 - however I've seen elsewhere some suggesting as big as 900mm opening and shim later. 

I understand the logic but 900mm seems OTT - but wondered what people on here do for this? 880mm to give plenty room for maneuver later?

Thanks, Jamie 

23 minutes ago, AliG said:

Ok I must have missed something, what is the problem with 826mm doors?

My architect has specified 914mm gaps in the block work for 826mm doors, but it may be that there will be more frame in a black wall.

Speak to any door company and they look at you funny then you ask for 826, however ask for a real reason for going with 33inch as opposed to a metric size and none is forthcoming, apart from a bigger range in imperial. 

I won't do anything 'old school' after the issue with the OSB boards being 2440x1220 rather than 2400x1200 - I'll stick to metric all the way, even if it costs a bit more. This whole palava of mixing types of measurement is perverse for 2016 - 20years ago maybe, but surely we must be moving on from that?!

Good old Blighty doing things her way!

Ah I see, yes I notice that there are more imperial size doors available, which seems particularly odd as they are usually made in Europe.

However, the metric ones are 60mm taller which is better for my higher ceiling. They are also thicker so I would think appear more substantial even if they aren't.

We've gone for a mix, higher 2040mm metric doors where we have to pass through them, imperial 1981mm for cupboard and waredrobe doors because of the better range of sizes available.  All our door openings are 50 - 60mm wider than the final door width to allow for lining and making plumb.

Guest Alphonsox

We've put in 33" doors in everywhere, they look really good. (Doorstore have a wide range). The linings we're handled by the joiner. 

IMG_20161011_154249386.jpg

42 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Speak to any door company and they look at you funny then you ask for 826, however ask for a real reason for going with 33inch as opposed to a metric size and none is forthcoming, apart from a bigger range in imperial. 

I won't do anything 'old school' after the issue with the OSB boards being 2440x1220 rather than 2400x1200 - I'll stick to metric all the way, even if it costs a bit more. This whole palava of mixing types of measurement is perverse for 2016 - 20years ago maybe, but surely we must be moving on from that?!

Good old Blighty doing things her way!

You have got a point on OSB as it is pretty much the only sheet material that is commonly used that stayed imperial. and that makes it a massive PITA

But doors are commonly a retrofit item so they need to accommodate for all the imperial holes they might need to fill. 

We had 900 x 2100 door openings specced throughout and went with 826 doors aside from one 926 door. Was able to get the metric linings from Howdens ok (they don'd tend to hold many in stock but can order in) but on reflection we should have gone with door sets for quicker installation.

Doors came from FSN - very nice, very solid but not the cheapest, however they will custom make any size at no extra cost which was handy as the basement doors needed an extra 10mm at the bottom when we changed the flooring to Karndean from time to save a few pounds.

Think about your thicknesses also - we had 44mm fire doors and 40mm for the pocket doors.

• 7 years later...

Reviving a 7 year old thread! Having internal door openings formed tomorrow, what size would you go for? I like the idea of 2100 high, but door liners for the larger 826x2040 doors look very limited! 838 x 1981 doors look far more common and liners readily available. Opening size for 838 looks to be about 910 x 2050

Door liners fit any height and width door, all you change is the wall width. 
a lining kit will come either 2100 high or 2200 high and with a head that you cut to size so will fit any door from 838 to 762. 
make sure you pick done widths suitable for wheelchair access if you need it. 

• Thanks 1