LPG gas bottle next to an ASHP = dangerous?

I am starting to think ahead to external locations for an ASHP and a medium size 20kg LPG bottle. Given the gas hob position in the kitchen layout, external planning sensitivities and UFH pipe routing I have concluded it would be simplest to create a low rise screen for both the LPG tank and ASHP unit co-located on a concrete platform.

Would this transgress any gas fitting regulations?

I don't know about regs re cohabitation.  But my 2 pence worth.  Don't enclose the ASHP in needs plenty of free air flow.  And fit a pair of 47kg bottles on an automatic change over not one small bottle that you will curse when it runs out in the middle of cooking and you have to go out and change it manually.  Gas is cheaper per kg in the larger bottles.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I don't know about regs re cohabitation.  But my 2 pence worth.  Don't enclose the ASHP in needs plenty of free air flow.

This point is a concern. I was thinking of a low rise wall about 1.5m long positioned about 2m back from the house wall and just high enough to screen the top of the ASHP. If there were no sides to the screen could it still impede airflow?

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And fit a pair of 47kg bottles on an automatic change over not one small bottle that you will curse when it runs out in the middle of cooking and you have to go out and change it manually.  Gas is cheaper per kg in the larger bottles.

We cooked off a pair of 47Kg bottles for three years in our previous house and reckoned a single bottle lasted a year+. In the new build the main oven will be electric so LPG will just be consumed by the gas hob. Those tall 47Kg bottles would be more difficult to screen. Swmbo is accustomed to boat cooking where a 3.5Kg bottle does not last a 2 week holiday.

Were using a pair of 47kg cylinders on a change over at the moment. I was going to switch to smaller cylinders when someone pointed out that a smaller cylinder might not provide the gas flow rate required. You need to check that or at Christmas when it's cold and you are using a lot of rings it may not work.

47kg cylinders are a pain to transport but many places deliver. We only need to change a cylinder every 18 months and we are family of four. Works very well.

Yip I use 47kg propane bottles for gas hob only, think it is in its 2nd year now, wait and see it will run out tomorrow now that I have said that.

As for hiding them, we don’t even notice it as it’s always been there, just by the kitchen window.

We use a metal gas cylinder store. They come in different colours, typically grey and green. They can be a bit expensive for what they are but hide your cylinders well. 

Main thing I've discovered is that some 47kg cylinders are taller than others and the roof on my store is a bit low. It can be a job wrestling the cylinder into it. Helps if you have long hoses so you can connect up the cylinder outside the store.

I have a pair of 19kg gas bottles on a changeover valve next to my ASHP (no cover). I chose 19kg as I find (at my tender age) 47kg a bit weildy, a 19kg on hob only lasts 6 months or more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

I also chose the smaller cylinders so they could not be seen over the hedge!

This is my motivation for thinking about building a low rise wall to screen the ASHP and LPG bottles. I need to screen them from public view and due to the plot orientation the side of the house can be seen from a public road until a hedge becomes established. 

• Like 1

I was going to switch to smaller cylinders but someone pointed out they have a lower flow rate and we gave a 6 ring hob. It's rare for them all to be used at once but has happened.

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'd say make a sump and drop the 47kg bottles into it, but am mindful that LPG is heavy so not sure what the regs would say about that. If it's outdoors then it should be fine, but best to get a GSR'd fitter to approve anything to do with gas.

With a gantry and block and tackle to lower a full 47kg cylinder down?

I would not want them in a sump personally. Because the gas is heavier than air there are rules on how close you can site cylinders to an open drain for instance, and why a gas leak on a boat can be bad news.

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

OK, so not one of my best ideas then maybe :/ 

With a further design enhancement I think it has potential as a weapon to resolve neighbourly disputes. Some days I feel the need to nuke local trouble makers with a ballistic LPG missile.

• Thanks 1