Roma blinds...err, I don't think so!

Thorfun

On 11/07/2020 at 12:45, Omnibuswoman said:

I started looking first of all at European companies for exactly the reason you mentioned - way more common in mainland Europe than over here. I'd be delighted to hear about positive experiences of purchasing these from any buildhubbers. I started looking at a Hungarian company (partly because I speak some Hungarian and have contacts there) called Anlux (www.anlux.hu). I'm planning to email them to find out if they sell over here, or have any partners to sell through.

Have you already decided on window manufacturer?  It makes things simpler and reduces risks if you can get blinds supplied with windows/

Alternately try https://www.brightablind.com/ or https://cornerstaraluminium.com/ for Warema blinds in U.K.

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

Have you already decided on window manufacturer?  It makes things simpler and reduces risks if you can get blinds supplied with windows/

Alternately try https://www.brightablind.com/ or https://cornerstaraluminium.com/ for Warema blinds in U.K.

I had a quote from brightablind.com. pretty good price from what I can tell. I asked Corner Star for a quote as well but they've not got back to me. this was a good reminder to chase them up! ?

• 1 year later...
On 07/07/2020 at 16:30, Bitpipe said:

Back in 2016 we bought a load of Skovby oak furniture direct from a Copenhagen showroom vs a uk supplier as even after the transport and exchange rate (just after Brexit) was still 30% cheaper.

I don’t suppose you remember the name of the supplier? R are looking at a Skovby SM33 table (round that extends to sort of round, incredible engineering) but the prices in the UK seem very high.

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I don’t suppose you remember the name of the supplier? R are looking at a Skovby SM33 table (round that extends to sort of round, incredible engineering) but the prices in the UK seem very high.

Yup, it was https://ilva.dk/spisestuen/spiseborde/skovby-sm33/top-i-olieret-valnoed-finer/p-1071267-5642736856/

SM33 is 17,999 kr which is £2045 at today's rates. I used CurrencyFair (or the equivalent) to make payment and booked transport with Chandlers but for a single piece it may be cheaper to drive over yourself and get it - we had 8 chairs, extending table, side board, tv table and a display cabinet :)

The guys at the store spoke excellent English and were only too happy to sort it all out for me.

As it turned out, around the time it was due to ship, my BA silver card was about to expire and I needed just 20pts to renew so I was fishing about for a cheap day return to get the pts. Copenhagen turned out to be the cheapest option (about £100) so I took my laptop, flew over, got train to their store and sat and worked there for the day until Chandlers turned up to collect at 2pm. Was not necessary but gave me peace of mind that it had all been loaded correctly.

Showroom staff kept me supplied with coffee and even bought me a sandwich for lunch :)

Just now, Bitpipe said:

Yup, it was https://ilva.dk/spisestuen/spiseborde/skovby-sm33/top-i-olieret-valnoed-finer/p-1071267-5642736856/

SM33 is 17,999 kr which is £2045 at today's rates. I used CurrencyFair (or the equivalent) to make payment and booked transport with Chandlers but for a single piece it may be cheaper to drive over yourself and get it - we had 8 chairs, extending table, side board, tv table and a display cabinet :)

The guys at the store spoke excellent English and were only too happy to sort it all out for me.

As it turned out, around the time it was due to ship, my BA silver card was about to expire and I needed just 20pts to renew so I was fishing about for a cheap day return to get the pts. Copenhagen turned out to be the cheapest option (about £100) so I took my laptop, flew over, got train to their store and sat and worked there for the day until Chandlers turned up to collect at 2pm. Was not necessary but gave me peace of mind that it had all been loaded correctly.

Showroom staff kept me supplied with coffee and even bought me a sandwich for lunch :)

Just checked Beadle & Chrome and they have SM33 for £1781 so maybe it's not such a good deal now, probably due to the ex rate shift.

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Finding myself in a similar situation - I have a bunch of awnings, venetians-with-flyscreens to source, and warema seems to be the #1 choice.

@Thorfun how has this worked out for you? Do they feel sturdy? Do they let through a lot of light? Etc?

I didn't go with Warema in the end.

used a local company called Powell blinds and ended up with Trojan blinds

we're not in the house yet but they definitely feel sturdy and don't seem to let a lot of light in but we've not tried sleeping in there so can't say about it for that. Warema only offer through a single supplier who I had issues with but you might have better luck.

a bit about our blind install here

Edited by Thorfun
added link to blog about blind install
  • Like 1

@Thorfun , are the blinds on the pricey side or reasonable. The fact that a lot of it is bespoke makes me think they are quote costly. My requirement is privacy along with south facing windows (with 1 west) and after that 40C weather earlier this year wouldn't mind trying to keep those rising temps at bay for a little longer.

You’re being far too ‘British’ about it. I ran a European team including Germany and The Netherlands. They are just very direct and aren’t being rude. In fact they’d be shocked to find out you were offended. Plus of course she’s translating this from her mother tongue to English. It might have been more abrupt in German of course. Nein! 

I did a 360 degree feedback session with my German leadership team one year. It was somewhat brutal. 😂 

1 hour ago, j_s said:

@Thorfun , are the blinds on the pricey side or reasonable. The fact that a lot of it is bespoke makes me think they are quote costly. My requirement is privacy along with south facing windows (with 1 west) and after that 40C weather earlier this year wouldn't mind trying to keep those rising temps at bay for a little longer.

that's a hard question to answer as one person's reasonable could be another's pricey. I think you'd need to get a quote for what you need as the price will depend on those requirements. personally I was happy with the cost and had already budgeted for it and designed for them to built in to the fabric of the building.

@craig mentioned in another thread that he can supply Roma blinds without the need to have the Gaulhoffer windows so give him a shout to discuss your needs. otherwise you could try a.n.other manufacturer to find a local supplier.

even though our house isn't finished yet when I lowered the blinds last summer it made quite a dramatic impact on the internal temperature by keeping the sun at bay. so if you're worried about overheating (and anyone building a new house to high insulation levels should be!) then seriously consider external blinds. In fact, I believe that overheating needs to be considered now as part of building regulations. just can't remember the Part letter off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

You’re being far too ‘British’ about it. I ran a European team including Germany and The Netherlands. They are just very direct and aren’t being rude. In fact they’d be shocked to find out you were offended. Plus of course she’s translating this from her mother tongue to English. It might have been more abrupt in German of course. Nein! 

I did a 360 degree feedback session with my German leadership team one year. It was somewhat brutal. 😂 

11 minutes ago, craig said:

+1

oh...I'm so over it all now. but at the time I was incensed! although I wish they'd told me at the time to contact @craig rather than just saying 'no' as I was already talking to him about windows. oh well, I know for next time. 😉