Tool identification help (hex drive socket)

ProDave

I need to buy a tool. I know they exist, but not knowing what the correct name is, I can't seem to find one.

It's ever so simple. I want an 8mm hex socket, but instead of it having a square female drive (to be used e.g with a ratchet) I need it to have a male hex drive so I can use it with a cordless screwdriver to run in coach bolts that have a hex head.

I can't seem to find one. but that's because I don't know what they are called (hex drive socket didn't get me very far)

It would be great if CPC had them as I am about to place an order from CPC. But the bext I have found from CPC is this http://cpc.farnell.com/hilka-tools/37955003/socket-adaptor-set-3pc/dp/TL17207?ost=tl17207&selectedCategoryId=&categoryNameResp=All%2BCategories&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false which would do what I want in conjunction with a standard square drive socket, but I really want the dedicated tool, hex drive to 8mm socket.

Do you mean these Dave? I can stick a couple in the post if you want tomorrow. Came with "Timbalock/fast/fix..." screws years ago when I was buying them in bulk and one came in each box:

2016-12-04_06-38-49

Tbh. you buying at Toolstation might be cheaper than the postage but I don't mind, let me know:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p24949?table=no

Edited by Onoff

25 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

If you haven't already got a set, i would recommend getting the adaptors you linked in the OP, I very rarely do anything up by hand since i bought mine ;)

I searched 8mm and got there eventually :)

http://cpc.farnell.com/silverline/277866/magnetic-nut-driver-8mm/dp/TL17319

As I said in the OP, it was knowing what to call it. It's obvious that it's not am 8mm hex drive socket, but it's a magnetic nut runner. Why didn't I think of that?

I will order one of those and one of the socket adaptor sets so I can do other sizes with a standard socket.

P.S you might have noticed CPC's website search tool is not the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steptoe said:

CPC s website search tool is dire, to put it mildly,

I use the catalogue, then look up the part number on website usually.

When you do that, try adding the 2 digit suffix to the order code from the latest weekly offers flyer. A surprising number of items that are not in the weekly offers do appear to be discounted if you care to try.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

When you do that, try adding the 2 digit suffix to the order code from the latest weekly offers flyer. A surprising number of items that are not in the weekly offers do appear to be discounted if you care to try.

Yep,

I do that with everything, they usually have maybe 2 or 3 codes running at any one time, I try them all, :)

16 hours ago, Steptoe said:

CPC s website search tool is dire, to put it mildly,

I use the catalogue, then look up the part number on website usually. 

Amen to that.  I thought I was going made recently when I tried to buy an extension reel.  The one that was in the catalogue just didn't come up in any word-based searches, and I could only get to it by using the part number.  Crazy.