Insulating Dormers

I seem to remember over on eBuild the general view the dormers were a bitch to insulate and that an eyebrow roof is a better bet?

Tbh I really can't see why. Specifically I'm looking at it from my own roof that desperately needs repairing / upgrading. 

SAM_2230

Simplifying it and picked at random but couldn't you just apply this warm roof technique to sloped, vertical and flat surfaces.

cold-roof-v-warm-roof.jpg

So basically ditch the existing tiles and felt, add a timber (OSB) deck.

Where the flat roof is insulate over the edge so it meets the vertical insulation and add a soffit detail AFTER.

If I went for EWI at ground floor I assume the VCL there would have to join to the roof's VCL.

Just another little project... :)

When I was designing my new build I initially wanted dormers ( cute!) but insulation is an issue purely because of the thickness required and the cheeks can look very chunky. I do however believe ( like most) that air tightness is more important once a reasonable level of insulation is reached.

• Like 1

What is an "eyebrow roof"?

I dislike flat roofed dormers (I dislike flat roofs in general) and I dislike the side detail of most dormers (which is why on my new build I extended the pitched rood of the "dormers" all the way down making them more of a "gable end").  But you have what you have so need to make the most of it.

I would definitely strip it all off and convert it to a warm roof. You could always do it like mine, 100mm wood fibre board over the rafters (which is strong enough to span the gap without a support board under it) and then also fill the gap between the rafters, in my case with Frametherm 35 earthwool.  And I would definitely NOT replace the roof with felt, that is the work of the devil. Get a fibreglass roof cover put on it.

No reason not to do the same on the sides of the dormer as well and replace with new cladding, or just put the hanging tiles back if you can, at least they should last a long time unlike timber cladding so that's a detail I would seek to retain.

I think the reason a lot of dormers are so poor, is they just build them with sticks of 4 by 2 timber so there is never enough room to fit anything like enough insulation so they end up being the coldest part of the house. So over sheeting with external insulation is an easy way to improve that.

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I would like to try building one just for the experience but they are not everyone's cup of tea.

IMG_0034.JPG

Just so organic.....sensual even! Don't you just want to get naked, roll around on that and become one with it? :ph34r:

First job I did on my previous house was replacing a small flat roof over the porch.

It had been built using flooring chipboard as the roof deck and I nearly fell through the bloody thing! Replaced with WBP ply. I thought about fibreglassing it but decided for speed and cost to just put new torch on felt down. Ended up selling the house within five years so was probably the right decision, but if I had kept the house I would have gone for fibreglass- costs a bit more (for us, it would have been around 400 quid vs 100 for felt) but it should be fit and forget.

3 hours ago, Onoff said:
4 hours ago, joe90 said:

I would like to try building one just for the experience but they are not everyone's cup of tea.

IMG_0034.JPG

Just so organic.....sensual even! Don't you just want to get naked, roll around on that and become one with it? 

Well are several reasons  why not.

1. Working at height. Not sure how you can be harnessed and rolling at the same time.

2. Performing lude acts in public. I suppose you could put a scaffolding screen round it and carry on all weather's. 

3.  Somebody might think you had a mental health problem and section you thus slowing up the day job -assuming you are not already banged up under 2 above, leading to loss of income, divorce and penury. Not to mention having to give the other half 50% of you power tools.

My advice  - get over it!B|

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just so organic.....sensual even! Don't you just want to get naked, roll around on that and become one with it? :ph34r:

There was I thinking I was the only one......that thought the inevitable harness while operating  at height would get  the way. It's the way those carabiner jaws can nip your cheeky bits when (and where) you least expect it.

• Like 1