Alternative pocket sliding door supplier

Bitpipe

We have quite a few pocket sliders in our build, they are great for bathrooms as they avoid the issue of having to accommodate an opening door, also have double sets between pairs of basement rooms to allow the rooms to open up.

We were planning to use Eclisse and built our frames around their dimensions but then we discovered that they only do 3" or 4" studs and we have CLS, which is in-between.

I then discovered http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/home and got the correct sized sets for half the price of Eclisse  - the frames are not as comprehensive as Eclisse but once clad in plasterboard they're fairly solid.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Klug are even cheaper - and just as good...

try Ironmongery Direct

Good find £99 at the moment - a bit late for me now,  but I was happy enough paying £125 compared to the £250 at Eclisse! Will definitely check them out when buying the rest of the gear.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys - quick question on these pocket sliding doors...

We want one in a bedroom to the side of the bed, but there is to be a wall light about 400mm from the door opening on the side that the door slides to - in other words, the wall light would be where the pocket door frame would be. Is this possible? How would we be able to route the wiring to the wall light?

I have only just read this thread.  My immediate question is why use a "packaged" solution for a pocket door?  all i have ever done (and seen done) is to hang a standard door on a sliding mechanism, and the joiner to construct the "pocket" for it so slide into.

With Worldwidewebs question about a light switch, the answer is no problem.  I just did one like this where there was a socket  within the pocket area.  The joiner framed the pocket in 2" by 2" timber each side of the door. So the "challenge" is to get a socket, or switch, within that 2".  No problem at all with a standard 25mm switch box, and the wiring within the pocket area enclosed in pvc conduit so it can't stray and get tangled with the door.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Hi guys - quick question on these pocket sliding doors...

We want one in a bedroom to the side of the bed, but there is to be a wall light about 400mm from the door opening on the side that the door slides to - in other words, the wall light would be where the pocket door frame would be. Is this possible? How would we be able to route the wiring to the wall light?

I think this would be possible with a bit of planning. Most pocket door kits have some sort of metal frame that plasterboard is screwed to. If I remember correctly the frame is thick enough to form a void for a wire. Run the wire before cladding the frame with plasterboard.

I've got glass pocket doors and there is enough room between the metal frame and door for narrow conduit. If not, and you don't mind the door not being central in the wall, you could build a false wall to accommodate the conduit and wall box.

Edited by PeterStarck

When I took our double bed apart and made it into a Super King size the standard, hinged door that already hit the bed became untenable. I created a false wall out of some 2"x2" and used SLIK sliding door gear from S'fix. Works fine. (Unfinished).

Never got round to the Enterprise doors for the boy's room either nor the Tardis entrance into the playroom.....nor the train set that disappears into the ceiling :)