Heavy Bath & Covid 19

We have purchased an Ashton and Bentley ISIS bath.  It weighs 82kg.  One of our plumbers is jittery about Covid 19 and doesn't want a 3rd person helping to move it, the plumbers have moved heavier baths.  At the current time we have a narrow temporary staircase, but I cannot see this as being an issue as a 150kg Juliet balcony went up there with two men at the bottom and one at the top.  Any hints or suggestions please.

Welcome.

I can understand the issue, as I believe the safe lifting load limit is normally restricted to 25kg per person (under the Manual Handling Regs).  There is a solution, though, and that's to hire an electric stair climber.  These come in a wide range of sizes and can shift loads fairly easily and safely up and down stairs.

Most bigger hire shops have electric stair climbers, and probably worth looking into, if only from the peace of mind one of these would give, over the risk of damage from manual lifting.

This is one around the right size: https://www.speedyservices.com/71_6010-h-stair-climber-powered-310kg-swl

image.png.4b3889309071cb245da66a62b19d552b.png

2 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Break out the rope and tackle. Done!

or a chain hoist

That's how I got a ~150kg Sunamp up the stairs on my own.  Took me the best part of a day, and was damned hard work (and it slightly damaged the stairs).  That was before I discovered just how very useful an electric stair climber can be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fitted an 80kg skylight in a second floor  roof on my own, it all comes down to planning and using mechanical advantage.

I made a sled from an 8x4 sheet of ply with a couple of battons on the back, and nailed some more battons to the roof to stop it going sideways then hoisted it up using a simple pull winch. 

As mentioned above, by @BotusBuild a few planks to make a ramp up the stairs and drag it up.

It's also an assertion of identity by my sibling.

But I think all this Heath-Robinsonism and proposals for extended self-flagellation argues for my solution.

Leave them to it, and go find a cup of char.

Edited by Ferdinand

I used to do quite  a few bathroom re furbishments and always refused to remove a cast iron bath (in one piece) told the customer if they wanted it they can shift it!!! (Always ended up smashing it to bits and weighing it in with scrap metal). Sorry no help i know.

Ha ha Mr Punter.  I am convinced I am on watched lists by MI5, MI6 and CIA as I have been searching online for 6 months to find the best price.

In the end we hired a construction lift for £60 a day.  It worked a treat.

• Like 1