Help me find my ducts

jamieled

The background is that about a year ago, our foundation slab was put in, with two ducts to pull through bt and electrics when the time was right. I didnt see them go in, but I told the groundworkers where to put them. The ends of the ducts were buried.

Fast forward a year, I need to get the services in, the ducts are nowhere to be found.

In the first photo below the ducts are shown coming up through the slab. In the second photo, the area where the ducts should be is shown. They should theoretically come out just to the right of the black bucket.

Things I've tried:

- phoned the groundworkers to jog their memory.

- Dug a massive trench right round this area.

- Rammed a water pipe down and tried to see if I can get water to come out into the soil at the other end.

-put a bit of light down the duct to try and find the direction.

At the moment I'm a bit nervous about continuing to dig around the pad holding the post up. Anyone got any words of wisdom or ideas?

Have a plan b not involving the ducts, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

20200426_101901.thumb.jpg.60f358f01d95d3baf2d2b91253a6fdb1.jpg20200426_101842.thumb.jpg.97ece7d5c03568ed1d35a5b753645723.jpg

Give divining a test.  Get two metal rods and form them into a long L shape. (I use two old straightened out bucket handles)

Hold the two short bits of the L with the long bits pointing forwards.  Then slowly walk over a known submerged object like your water pipe.  See if the rods move.

I didn't believe it until I tried it and it works, but don't ask me how or why.  I am told you can detect almost anything so think about what you are hoping to find.

Alternatively send a set of drain rods down with nothing on the end and hammer at what they come to a stop at and see if you can get any movement.  Mark how far the rods go in, pull them out and measure, That will give you a good idea where they got to and where to dig.

I would suggest feeding a cable down it then use a ground scanner....but Declan52 surgestion is actually a guaranteed way of find it. You only have to feed it a meter or two, find it then follow it as someone else pushes the mouse further.