Noob questions

RDodds89

So just trying to build up a plan for everything and costing....

If I was going to be building a timber lodge on a block and joists(so crawl space under), how would I prepare that for underfloor heating?  What do I need under it & what types of flooring can I put on top?  If well enough insulated, Would I need it in every room? Bedrooms? 

The only UF heating I’ve dealt with is an electric mat under my bathroom tiles at the moment. 

Plenty of insulation, i.e. thick joists.  Mine are 300mm I beam joists with 300mm of Frametherm 35 insulation.

I over boarded with OSB, then battens following the joists, and UFH pipes is a biscuit mix, then engineered Oak floor.

biscuit_1.thumb.jpg.c049ece24b3b0b1ec6106161757e0278.jpg

oak_floor_2.thumb.jpg.4eb67ff825908bf3bae86b402f1ba3b1.jpg

In the hall and utility room I laid chipboard then ply and slate tiles.

Some people prefer aluminium spreader plates rather than biscuit mix.  If you intend biscuit mix make sure the joists are sized for the extra dead load.

Did you lay the engineered oak direct on top of biscuit mix?  I intended on using 8x2 c24 for joists, then pack them with kingspan or similar and 18mm ply or osb.    What size of battens are you using to put the pipe on? 

28 minutes ago, RDodds89 said:

Did you lay the engineered oak direct on top of biscuit mix?  I intended on using 8x2 c24 for joists, then pack them with kingspan or similar and 18mm ply or osb.    What size of battens are you using to put the pipe on? 

Yes the wood floor directly over the screed as in picture one, but the weight is not taken by the screed, rather by the battens. Battens are 25mm by 50mm.  It needs to be a structural floor that can span your joist spacing.

Just for info.. Engineered boards are usually either 14mm or 18-21mm. I think the 14mm is only recommended over concrete floors. Think building regs require 18mm+ on joists.

21 hours ago, ProDave said:

Plenty of insulation, i.e. thick joists.  Mine are 300mm I beam joists with 300mm of Frametherm 35 insulation.

I over boarded with OSB, then battens following the joists, and UFH pipes is a biscuit mix, then engineered Oak floor.

oak_floor_2.thumb.jpg.4eb67ff825908bf3bae86b402f1ba3b1.jpg

In the hall and utility room I laid chipboard then ply and slate tiles.

Some people prefer aluminium spreader plates rather than biscuit mix.  If you intend biscuit mix make sure the joists are sized for the extra dead load.

Please could I ask the details of that engineered floor, and if it's not too cheeky, the price per M, and the supplier. Really like it. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, trialuser said:

Please could I ask the details of that engineered floor, and if it's not too cheeky, the price per M, and the supplier. Really like it. Thanks.

JJI I beam engineered joists.  Size specified by the structural engineer to suit the span and loading, in this case a 5 metre span.  They were about 300mm deep and laid at 400mm centres.

I don't have the costs to hand as they were supplied and fitted by the builders that put the frame up so it just got lumped into one of their invoices.

utility_drains_2.thumb.jpg.382e54453eb13620b2f3305a593e18e4.jpg

I laid strips of OSB in the bottom of the I to form a platform to support the insulation.  Filled the void with 300mm of frametherm 35, then a sheet of DPM as an air tight layer, then an OSB deck to support the UFH with battens following the joists to support the final floor.

Ours looks similar to @ProDave. We got it pretreated with Osmo hardwax oil from Woods of Wales. http://www.woodsofwales.co.uk/ . That was about 12 years ago so our prices are too out of date. 

Do shop around. I picked up a lot of samples at the self build shows. All looked good at the show but when I got them home in the sun/natural light several looked very different, one or two were practically orange. Quite surprised. 

Some places grade it from Rustic to Clear depending on how many knots there are. We prefer something in the middle, clear is more expensive and looks too characterless in my opinion. 

If you are gluing the T&G make sure to use plenty. I recommend using a brush not just running the nozzle down the groove. Will help stop creaking.