Thermostatic showers

I’m looking at these now ! - all of them seem to suggest you should provide rear access to the shower valve for the filter !!!

Surely no one does this ? ( 95% of the time it’s not possible anyway )....... ??

I thought filter access was from the front?

Hope so as I went to great lengths to give at least token access for getting tools to service my thermostatic mixer. Even bought a box spanner more often used on a Landrover!

20180613_211248

2018-09-22_11-41-46

Used "normal" silicone in a horseshoe (open at the bottom) on the cover plate that will need prising off:

20190128_191501

20190306_201255

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have always fitted them for comfort, so you know the water temperature won't vary and you don't have to fiddle.  I have never thought of them as a "safety feature"

Guessing I've not set mine (same as yours?) up properly then as I can turn it to "bloody hot"?

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Guessing I've not set mine (same as yours?) up properly then as I can turn it to "bloody hot"?

The middle dial is set for "comfortable" and never gets moved.

Most of the time my HW is only 48 degrees so that would be "bloody hot" but not scaldingly so.

Like @ProDave my DHW is set to 48’ so anti scald devices not required. On the subject of mixers for showers I prefer external bar types so it can be replaced without dismantling the wall. I know someone who had a posh mixer and when it went wrong he was quoted him about £400 for a new valve. 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

The middle dial is set for "comfortable" and never gets moved.

Most of the time my HW is only 48 degrees so that would be "bloody hot" but not scaldingly so.

The fact my HW in the hot water cylinder is higher than 48degC makes me think I need to be making some sort of adjustment to the shower mixer. Seem to remember a moveable stop in there but I didn't play with it.

12 hours ago, pocster said:

I’m looking at these now ! - all of them seem to suggest you should provide rear access to the shower valve for the filter !!!

Surely no one does this ? ( 95% of the time it’s not possible anyway )....... ??

I did when I built a wall to make more space on the landing in our old house. Had a access panel in case of problems.

2 minutes ago, Delicatedave said:

I did when I built a wall to make more space on the landing in our old house. Had a access panel in case of problems.

It’s only for filter access yes ? . Don’t think my neighbour would appreciate a shower access panel in their lounge !! ??

21 hours ago, pocster said:

It’s only for filter access yes ? . Don’t think my neighbour would appreciate a shower access panel in their lounge !! ??

No it was for the water, but as others have said most mixer cartridges are changed from the front anyway. What I would say is make sure you get a clean system. After six months of fitting ours we had a problem and I assumed the cartridge had gone but when I opened it all up all it was was some flux had got trapped in the filter washer mesh on the hot flow.

It depends on your plumbing layout, but if you are having a radial type layout somewhere between the manifold and the shower.

So for example if the water is coming from above in a loft space, you could put it in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1