6 Pane Glazing

Siochair

11 hours ago, Siochair said:

Found the following article on 6 pane glazing. I know that windows are a weak link with regards to U values but I just wonder if/when these will be a valid choice for domestic use.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378778818331554

never 

triple glazing and a curtain or shutters like they used to fit 200 years ago  ?

Edited by scottishjohn

Anyone done a cost/ benefit calculation?

I suspect it would cost a LOT more than 3G glass.

Now I have a house that costs (last year) £234pa to heat it.  Let's assume 6G glass would cost an extra £10K for my house (pure guess) . Let's say it cut my heating bill down to £100pa  Then it would require 74 years of savings in heating cost to pay for the extra glass cost.

I am pretty confident the money spent to get to the level of insulation I have was worthwhile, but going much beyond that it really becomes very much diminishing returns.

15 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I'm considering quad glazing for my (nine) rooflights.

What is the cost?  Nice though it is, I doubt it makes economic sense,  When I looked Fakro were the only 4G roof light I could find at 4 times the price of ordinary ones.

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What is the cost?

Not sure quite yet. Hoping it will be much less than a third more than a triple glazing. I am hoping the extra cost will be low (probably a vain hope).

I agree that the law of diminishing returns rules here with more-and-more glazing layers. But following the fabric-first mantra, I am keen to spend money lowering the U-value of roof windows if I can, especially as I have 9 m² of them. Using @Jeremy Harris's heat-loss calculator brought it home to me how much heat is lost through them.

Edited by Dreadnaught

But the mantra is fabric first, not fabric always. There will come a point when simply adding more PV to compensate for the losses will be more economical than adding more insulation. Even on the 2G/3G decision it's not completely clear cut though I think 3G is probably the better option for various reasons. PV has a limited life but so do glazing units (for similar reasons). Still, more PV to compensate for winter losses gives you more electricity in summer to charge your car or whatever.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Now I have a house that costs (last year) £234pa to heat it.  Let's assume 6G glass would cost an extra £10K for my house (pure guess) . Let's say it cut my heating bill down to £100pa  Then it would require 74 years of savings in heating cost to pay for the extra glass cost.

I am pretty confident the money spent to get to the level of insulation I have was worthwhile, but going much beyond that it really becomes very much diminishing returns.

True. But that depends on current prices. They might sink. As they did with double glazing, triple glazing, pv panels and loads other things. So might still be interesting in 7-15years. But currently def. A big extra cost for not much - 0 saving/benefits.

54 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I suspect any change will be incremental, e.g expect 4G glazing to become common first.

True. And for this to happen. We would need 3G as a standard first. So forget what I said with 7-15years. More like 70-100years.

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

there is one about half way through, the whole thing is a bit of heavy reading, it is dependent as to whether automation of manufacture will happen.