Light recommendation

Hi everyone - not been very active here for a few weeks, with a ton of projects on the go.

One of the things I've been working on is a new workbench in our garage - it's a work in progress. I've built the bench and need some recommendations on lighting... Any suggestions?

IMG_1642.jpeg

For my workshop I opted for led strips glued to the roofing joists, I did this because my last workshop had fluorescent tubes (economical) but smashed a few waving long lengths of timber about. I also have an old angle poise for finicky work 

Also, fluorescents are less than a good idea if you have any power tools which which might be moving back and forwards at multiples or sub-multiples of 100 Hz because the strobe effect of fluorescents can make them appear stopped which could lead to an accident.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

For my workshop I opted for led strips glued to the roofing joists, I did this because my last workshop had fluorescent tubes (economical) but smashed a few waving long lengths of timber about. I also have an old angle poise for finicky work 

I assume the LED strip lights cast sufficient light. Don’t suppose you have a photo?

48 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

You can't have enough light in a workshop. My last one had 2500watts.

That is just the power, unless the light source, and the luminaire is taken into account, it means very little.

2500 W of 150 Lm/W lighting would be too much.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

That is just the power, unless the light source, and the luminaire is taken into account, it means very little.

2500 W of 150 Lm/W lighting would be too much.

Fair enough Steamy Tea. The point i was trying to make was that in my opinion you need a lot of light in a workshop. I used to make very expensive furniture in mine, and i never wanted to be working in shadow. When i was charging up to £10 grand for a bathroom vanity unit, to go into a £15million pound house, it's manufacture, and finish had to be spot on. I had 6 circuits to control the light so i never felt that i was working with not enough light. Joe 90's workshop above would be way to dim in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Any storage tips for storage of gardening tools? Spades, secateurs, strimmers, etc.?

for years I have used Tesco crates, in my van and my workshop (in a wooden frame so crates can be pulled out) , very tough with built in handles. Handled long tools hung on the wall .

9 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Yeah, my tip is get the Mrs her own small shed for gardening stuff. Don't want it in the man cave.

this year I am building a tractor shed next to my workshop to keep my “big boy gardening” stuff in (tractor, topper, saw bench etc etc).

On 29/01/2020 at 17:35, joe90 said:

for years I have used Tesco crates, in my van and my workshop (in a wooden frame so crates can be pulled out) , very tough with built in handles. Handled long tools hung on the wall .

I was considering doing that for the spades, but would need to short the pallets I current have.