Disabled WC Dimensions

SCOTT_Scott

Hi

I am developing a project and i need to provide Acc. WC I understand that in Northern Ireland BC tech Booklet R the Acc. WC has to be a min size of 2200*1500.

Do wall tiles and finishes have an impact on this dimension, or is the measurement taken when the room is studded out?

Thanks In Advance

Scott

I don't know about NI regs but in England it would be the internal dimensions after tiling. Here there are also minimum distances between basin and wall (eg so a wheel chair can get from a door, past the basin to the WC).

2 hours ago, SCOTT_Scott said:

Hi

I am developing a project and i need to provide Acc. WC I understand that in Northern Ireland BC tech Booklet R the Acc. WC has to be a min size of 2200*1500.

Do wall tiles and finishes have an impact on this dimension, or is the measurement taken when the room is studded out?

Thanks In Advance

Scott

Surely the measurement will be taken when the room is finished?

If I am in a wheelchair I cannot turn around inside the depth of the tiles ? .

Unless it is Star Trek and I am slightly out of Phase with my bathroom, but then the shower won't work either as it will go straight through me.

thenextphase8.jpg.987e5ace70418a7283cffb7e284badd9.jpg

Aside: I blogged an accessible bathroom project, which may be helpful.

On commercial buildings the drawings for framing are always 2000x2000

On the private houses I normally build 2000 deep x 1800 minimum 

I’ve only experience of building in England 

I would have thought a wheel chair 

loo and door opening wouldn’t vary much 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nod said:

On commercial buildings the drawings for framing are always 2000x2000

On the private houses I normally build 2000 deep x 1800 minimum 

I’ve only experience of building in England 

I would have thought a wheel chair 

loo and door opening wouldn’t vary much 

door size --there is a minimimum ,  1000mm?I remember that from doing our disabled loo in garage when we split it ito 3 units .

there is or was ,in Scotland, a half way house which is sometimes allowed depending on BC man and the  building you are working with 

It is called an ambulant toilet-- it can be samller .

I was allowed that in my showroom unit.

yet for my workshop /customer reception  where there will never be any wheelchair mechanics  I had to have full disabled,

you begin to wonder when it will be a requirement for a new build to have a disabled loo or at least an ambulant one ,we already have to have ramps and as most houses will have more than one --then i can see ground floor one could be a target  for them to be made compliant,even if its just size  tostart with so it can be converted  infutre if need  arises  to make stay at home social care a bigger possibility ,certainly worth considering if designing your new forever home 

that and enough space for a lift shaft  in future,which can be storage space till then 

floor plan  --check this out

https://www.moreability.co.uk/help-advice/2018/08/disabled-toilet-size

Edited by scottishjohn

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2019 at 08:52, scottishjohn said:

door size --there is a minimimum ,  1000mm?I remember that from doing our disabled loo in garage when we split it ito 3 units .

there is or was ,in Scotland, a half way house which is sometimes allowed depending on BC man and the  building you are working with 

It is called an ambulant toilet-- it can be samller .

I was allowed that in my showroom unit.

yet for my workshop /customer reception  where there will never be any wheelchair mechanics  I had to have full disabled,

you begin to wonder when it will be a requirement for a new build to have a disabled loo or at least an ambulant one ,we already have to have ramps and as most houses will have more than one --then i can see ground floor one could be a target  for them to be made compliant,even if its just size  tostart with so it can be converted  infutre if need  arises  to make stay at home social care a bigger possibility ,certainly worth considering if designing your new forever home 

that and enough space for a lift shaft  in future,which can be storage space till then 

floor plan  --check this out

https://www.moreability.co.uk/help-advice/2018/08/disabled-toilet-size

I think a lot of people confuse "accessible sanitary facilities" with being fully wheelchair compliant, myself included when I first started reading the regs. If I now understand it correctly this allows for those of limited mobility full comfortable access, although I think it does talk about wheelchair access?

These facilities need to have one on each floor and space for a shower on the principal living floor, or is it just principal living floor? Hence new builds now having a massive WC downstairs that often feels unproportional.

I did find a Glasgow CC document that sums up fully wheelchair compliant living standards.