MVHR Location above Stairwell?

I've been looking at retrofitting a Brink MVHR unit into my 3 bed semi detached property - 2 story. The unit/system won't fit in the hot press, attic or utility room. I got the idea of trying to see if it would fit above the stairwell (with the manifolds in the attic) but wanted to check if anyone knows of any buildings regulations that would prevent this? Fire etc? 

If this is possible, I'll need to find a way to secure the 37 Kg unit (Flair 325). There are just stud partitions all around that area and I don't want to suspend it from the roof trusses above which are not designed to take a downward load. Any ideas? Would the studs be safe to secure this load to? 

Thanks!

Stairwell.jpg

I don’t see why not, I am sure the studs can take a compressive load as long as good fixings are used (bolts?). My only worry would be noise, make sure it’s mounted on good rubber mounts and surrounded with sound deadening material. Mine is hung from roof trusses rather than sitting on ceiling joists and no noise can be heard at all.

• Like 1

Thanks Declan - considered monkey bars but will probably install a telescopic ladder or some such means to reach the front of the unit, or mission impossible rapel down from above?! The brink units look a breeze (apologies) to swap in and out filters. I just don't want the unit falling on my head one day....! 

Thanks - Got an ensuite straight behind the stairwell or the utility room beneath the stairs. Not sure if I'll be able to run a pipe behind/around the shower in the en-suite though so will probably drop it into the stud partition on the right and into the utility room washing machine / tumble dryer outlet below.  

I've used a flexible, convoluted washing machine extension hose for my condensate drain, made it very easy to site the unit and remove later on if I need to, any excess is lost by closing up the convolutions.

you can also pull the pipe through joists etc as needed rather than struggle with rigid pipe and joints where you don't need to. You can create a  U-bend loop in the pipe to form the trap as well, just made my installation very easy that way.

The condensate is clean fresh water, not like boiler flue condensate which is acidic, so you can even use copper if you wish.

I was thinking of doing something similar, but boxing it in over the stairs to form a "cupboard" accessed through a door from a spare bedroom to the side. In the end we're going for loft installation (now we decided on warm loft, it's just easier) but I did like the idea of easy filer access through a cupboard door in the box room.  

There's going to be a lot of pipes, some double runs to some rooms! I hope to document the install a bit and post a blog about it as it might be useful to highlight the challenges to others. Will have to see what the quote comes in as in the new year but it's still in the feasibility stage currently. Good idea about access via a bedroom!  

22 hours ago, JFDIY said:

I've used a flexible, convoluted washing machine extension hose for my condensate drain, made it very easy to site the unit and remove later on if I need to, any excess is lost by closing up the convolutions.

you can also pull the pipe through joists etc as needed rather than struggle with rigid pipe and joints where you don't need to. You can create a  U-bend loop in the pipe to form the trap as well, just made my installation very easy that way.

The condensate is clean fresh water, not like boiler flue condensate which is acidic, so you can even use copper if you wish.

I did think it had to be a dry trap ??