New house!

strideredc

Hi, New to this forum... we moved away from the busy south east over to the west about 9 months ago and brought an old coach house (total floor area inside is about 90m2 downstairs so not huge but big for us) that was refurbed/converted in the late 70's! now needs refurbing again!

Planning on putting UFH in throughout the downstairs (dig out job) and running it off a ASHP. It needs rewiring, repluming, replastering and a re laid roof! other than that its tip top! solid sandstone walls and freezing cold! I am an electrician by trade but not an expert in domestic as i work more in controls. Will post some pics soon... Already getting loads of ideas from this forum so thanks already!

7 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

We're hoping to do that one day. Welcome to the forum by the way and good luck with the project.

Best thing we have done but we are only 9 months in!... one of my ambitions is to never drive on the M25 ever again! unfortunately i am nowhere near that yet....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, strideredc said:

Best thing we have done but we are only 9 months in!... one of my ambitions is to never drive on the M25 ever again! unfortunately i am nowhere near that yet....

I moved a lot further than you to achieve that.

But even so I was down there this year, but only as a passenger on the M25 /M23

54 minutes ago, strideredc said:

These give an idea of what it is... (it looks much better than it is in the photos thats for sure!)

20190418_182518.jpg

Welcome!!

What are you going to do with all that gorgeous parquet?  is the question everyone will be asking you from now until you put your UFH in. At least, it is for us.

(Relatedly - anyone in need of 50m2 of gorgeous parquet? available in 3 weeks time.)

18 minutes ago, joth said:

Welcome!!

What are you going to do with all that gorgeous parquet?  is the question everyone will be asking you from now until you put your UFH in. At least, it is for us.

(Relatedly - anyone in need of 50m2 of gorgeous parquet? available in 3 weeks time.)

Kinderling! it looks better in the photos. some has shrunk and coming away (it was stuck down with black glue i imagine in sheets??). its about 7mm thick? do you recon its worth anything if i took it up carefully as there is about 44m2 of it?

18 minutes ago, joth said:

• Like 1

It has a 'propper' 70's feel about it! the house was a coach house built in about 1890'ish+ for the manor house behind us about 100+m away... thats one of the reasons we brought it is we dont have any close neighbours! fed up living next to people moaning about our dogs ect ect (5 years of bad neighbours in the last place) we had to move out the south east as we could never afford even 1/4 of what we wanted down there.... it was talk and dream or do something about it.

so -- what are you doing to general insulation spec if you are going to trouble of fitting UFH

maybe strip walls back to stone work and make a nice new insulated envelope so your stone walls cannot chill the inside?

just adding better heating is only half the job  if you going to let it all dissapear through the stone walls.

KEEPING THE HEAT IN WILL DRASTICALLY RDUCE THE AMOUNT OF HEAT ING YOU HAVE TO DO 

15 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

so -- what are you doing to general insulation spec if you are going to trouble of fitting UFH

maybe strip walls back to stone work and make a nice new insulated envelope so your stone walls cannot chill the inside?

just adding better heating is only half the job  if you going to let it all dissapear through the stone walls.

KEEPING THE HEAT IN WILL DRASTICALLY RDUCE THE AMOUNT OF HEAT ING YOU HAVE TO DO 

Thats the $1m question, i dont know? i was going to get the outside facing walls re lime and hemp plastered (original is in a bit of a state)but i really dont know what to do with it all. there was signs of damp but i cant see any damp now and thats after the worst rain in years here! all the walls are dry apart from downstairs bathroom thats clad in wood that prob rotten underneath!

the thought of rewiring it give me nightmares and i am an electrician! I only have floorboards in either end of the house and none on the mezz! 2x dbs are needed at either end of the house with swa under the slab and a few ducts put in to get from one side to the other. because of the construction its almost impossible to get from one side to the other...

4 hours ago, strideredc said:

Thats the $1m question, i dont know? i was going to get the outside facing walls re lime and hemp plastered (original is in a bit of a state)but i really dont know what to do with it all. there was signs of damp but i cant see any damp now and thats after the worst rain in years here! all the walls are dry apart from downstairs bathroom thats clad in wood that prob rotten underneath!

the thought of rewiring it give me nightmares and i am an electrician! I only have floorboards in either end of the house and none on the mezz! 2x dbs are needed at either end of the house with swa under the slab and a few ducts put in to get from one side to the other. because of the construction its almost impossible to get from one side to the other...

well if you follow any of the trheads onhere what always conmes to the top is 

do it once do it right and "fabric first " when searching for effiency 

so why not go back ot stone walls -- and tan ktem  or maybe get them sprayed with CLOSED cell foam - that is water proof and sorts the insualton at same tiem 

what ever you do  isee it as imperative you sort the damp problems  once and for all

tough tio t looked like the oputside of house was cut stone showing not rendered in any way 

if  its render then there are  lots of water proof versions  ,but you still need to up the insulation on other side of stonework 

lots of goggling for yuo to do

Just now, scottishjohn said:

the thought of rewiring it give me nightmares and i am an electrician! I only have floorboards in either end of the house and none on the mezz! 2x dbs are needed at either end of the house with swa under the slab and a few ducts put in to get from one side to the other. because of the construction its almost impossible to get from one side to the other..

maybe time to make network of ducts for wiring in your  new poured slab UFH floor --  make stud walls to run it all behind?

Welcome

On 20/12/2019 at 16:20, strideredc said:

one of my ambitions is to never drive on the M25 ever again

Last but one trip up country the M25 was blocked, so had to take the old route from Heathrow to Watford.  It was painful.

The M25 is so much better.

I am 100 miles or so from the nearest motorway, oh how I miss them.