Sourcing loose fill insulation

jamiehamy

Hi everyone, 

I need to use about 1m3 of lose fill insulation around a steel beam (Warmcell/Thermofloc etc) but can't find anywhere to buy it without paying more for the postage than the material!

Does anyone know where I might be able to source this near Glasgow or if there is somewhere online that will sell it without charging a fortune for postage? JEwsons can't source it for me which is frustrating!

Thanks, Jamie 

16 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Guys!  What an idea!  We only happen to have 4 Bulk Bags full of Xps offcuts from the icf walls. 

Do you think that's a goer? Would solve two problems at once and save us a wee bit.  

I hate to be a kill joy but I'm really not convinced eps is going to go through a garden shredder. Most the ones I've seen have a relatively narrow neck (to stop your hand going in) and shred using a sort of crushing corkscrew. It will just squash the eps rather than shred it and most likely block very quickly. 

But hey.....I love being proved wrong :) 

Must it be loose? Could you use the EPS in solid pieces and carve some rough channels to fit around the beam?

Or is it already in place and enclosed, so loose fill definitely required? If so, perhaps consider bean bag refills? That's loose polystyrene beads.

Now there is something to work put how to do :-)

I would bet that you need more packaging than you expect for one cubic metre.

Perhaps it would need something more like a flail mechanism / paper shredder or an industrial level wood chipper.

What would the particle size have to be for effective insulation? I can see that taking it down to a couple of mm would be difficult, but would 10mm particles be materially worse? Is there a fire risk due to an absence of retardants in packaging?

I remember that the mechanism on the GD programme was well concealed, though.

Person who made their own insulating sheets (not unfortunately from loose beads)

https://greenpassivesolar.com/2012/11/how-styrofoam-can-be-recycled/

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I did all of our EPS cutting (for the external basement wall insulation) inside the basement box with a small electric chainsaw - it generated loads of waste, was like a mini snow globe when the wind got in there.

Was a messy job to clean up also, especially as it became a mix of EPS beads, rain water, mud and other building cr@p.

So, if you want to create some DIY EPS beads, go take a chainsaw to your insulation in a confined space :)

Leads me to wonder what to do with the 6 200mm thick sheets of EPS 70 I have left - will probably stick them on Gumtree or free cycle..

It seemed to work on the XPS,  chippings rather than beads. Slow going but steady progress...! 

Jack,  it has to be loose fill at there is only 100mm access to the front of the beam from the top.... Plus joists resting every 600mm.

DSC_0322.JPG

I was actually wondering if I could spray in a weakish PVA solution to bind it all together and fill the gaps - although it compacts down pretty well as it is. 

Ideally I would put these chippings through an industrial food blender to get it down to tiny pieces, but realistically that ain't gonna happen!.

Hmm! I actually need rid of the stuff anyway, and need loose fill insulation. This is just the outer layer of the beam - inside is PIR which acts as a VCL as well. 

Might just fill it all in with this and be done.