Means of Escape routes

PeterW

I've got a query on MoE and the routes to an egress point. 

For various reasons we will end up with Velux windows in the master bedroom which ideally will be above the bed and also around 5ft from the floor. This creates a couple of issues as they then no longer qualify for MoE unless we build in some sort of permanent step to the window. 

However... the master has an ensuite with a velux that would work as an MoE window but as far as I can see from the regs, this is classed as an inner room so the expectation is that to exit the building you would go into the main room to exit in event of a fire. 

Can anyone see an issue doing it the opposite way ...?? Alternative is that I create a fireproof stairwell but that would mean 7 or 8 fire doors which adds a significant cost.  

As a BCO i would, and have accepted this several times as an acceptable MOE from a bedroom so long as the window is of sufficient size, not more than 1100mm from floor, access is not obstructed by anything permanent in the room and the window supports itself when opened.

However, this is a common sense interpretation of the regs and i could not guarantee that another BCO would be of the same opinion, you would definately have to check it out with your inspector first.

• Like 5

Got a feeling that I've seen this in the regs somewhere. eg  if a room doesn't have an escape window then one in an adjoining room is ok provided there is a door between the two (eg you don't have to go via a hall or landing to get to it). 

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

Got a feeling that I've seen this in the regs somewhere. eg  if a room doesn't have an escape window then one in an adjoining room is ok provided there is a door between the two (eg you don't have to go via a hall or landing to get to it). 

Yes I thought I had seen it too and it's to do with inner rooms and inner inner rooms ..! The odd thing in this instance is that we would be going from a habitable room to an inner room to exit - will check with BCO (thanks @MrP)

18 hours ago, MrP said:

As a BCO i would, and have accepted this several times as an acceptable MOE from a bedroom so long as the window is of sufficient size, not more than 1100mm from floor, access is not obstructed by anything permanent in the room and the window supports itself when opened.

However, this is a common sense interpretation of the regs and i could not guarantee that another BCO would be of the same opinion, you would definately have to check it out with your inspector first.

Welcome.

Nice to have a BCO around.

Edited by Ferdinand

I recall doing a loft conversion and BC failed the window as the cill was 1" too high. To get it passed they had to install a fixed step 1" high (I kid you not) in front of the window. I am certain if the house was on fire, and flames were licking up my aris, I would have been able to negotiate a cill 1" too high even without the step.