Fakita

Onoff

Update: My Dad's laptop. I've abandoned Linux Mint on it. Problems with keyring login on Skype. I just wanted it to boot up and for him to have a browser, Skype email and FB icons. Linux distros need to abandon all that keyring b@llocks.

Gone back to Windows 7 Home Premium and stuck another 4GB of DDR3 in from his laptop before this one that had physical damage issues.  

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

Update: My Dad's laptop. I've abandoned Linux Mint on it. Problems with keyring login on Skype. I just wanted it to boot up and for him to have a browser, Skype email and FB icons. Linux distros need to abandon all that keyring b@llocks.

Gone back to Windows 7 Home Premium and stuck another 4GB of DDR3 in from his laptop before this one that had physical damage issues.  

I have this "keyring" thing on mine.  I thought it was something SWMBO put on there but she now nothing about it.  Neither of us know the password it is expecting.  I just dismiss it by pressing Cancel, but it is persistent and you have to cancel it 5 times before it gives up.  Then the browser (chromium) operates as normal including remembering passwords if you have chosen to save them.

Use Firefox instead and this keyring thing does not pester you.

I would turn it off if I new how but have never found any reference to it.

Good tip.

Interesting to see if the impact driver arrives.  I ordered the same one that AvE has in that YouTube video, cost around £26 delivered (as a bare tool, no battery pack).

The eBay link, for those that want to live dangerously, is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372853575848?_sp=p2488212.m41214.l9765

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is it just no good, or a scam, as in never delivered.

Never delivered as I understand.

Chap on the mig welding forum just bought the knock off impact gun only to realise his Makita drill/charger/batteries are G series so the batteries don't fit!

Luckily all my battery packs (some genuine Makita, some Chinese knock-offs) should fit this impact driver (assuming it arrives).  I bought it from a "UK" eBay seller, advertised as being in "London", but whose address is:

SHANGHAI QINREN DIAN NAO KE JI YOU XIAN GONG SI
磊 高
抚远路1288弄59号501室
201908 上海, 上海
中國

Must be in Chinatown, I guess...

On a more serious point, why does eBay allow so many sellers to fake their location?  There are literally hundreds of sellers listed as being in the UK somewhere in listings, but when you scroll down to where they really are you find they are in China somewhere.  I first thought that they were just drop shippers, but it seems clear that some are shipping directly from China, and not using a UK warehouse at all.

23 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I first thought that they were just drop shippers, but it seems clear that some are shipping directly from China, and not using a UK warehouse at all.

I always look at the delivery time, a good indication of which side of the planet they come from!

• Like 1

The impact driver arrived this morning.  Seems every bit as good as shown in that video by AvE.  Although it is advertised as being a 1/2" square drive machine (which it is) what isn't clear is that it also has a standard 1/4" hex socket in the square drive, so works fine with screwdriver bits, without an adapter (handy, as it keeps the front to back profile short).

I bought from this "UK" eBay seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372853575848?_sp=p2488212.m41214.l9765 for the princely sum of £25.98, including delivery, but I see they've now upped delivery to £9.99, so one will now cost a whopping £33.58.

I've given the thing a quick test, with both genuine Makita and Makita clone battery packs and reckon it's probably pretty close to the quoted spec.  Had no problem loosening the wheel nuts on my car as a test, and they were done up pretty tight (needed to get the torque wrench out to tighten them back up correctly, though)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

The impact driver arrived this morning.  Seems every bit as good as shown in that video by AvE.  Although it is advertised as being a 1/2" square drive machine (which it is) what isn't clear is that it also has a standard 1/4" hex socket in the square drive, so works fine with screwdriver bits, without an adapter (handy, as it keeps the front to back profile short).

I bought from this "UK" eBay seller: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372853575848?_sp=p2488212.m41214.l9765 for the princely sum of £25.98, including delivery, but I see they've now upped delivery to £9.99, so one will now cost a whopping £33.58.

I've given the thing a quick test, with both genuine Makita and Makita clone battery packs and reckon it's probably pretty close to the quoted spec.  Had no problem loosening the wheel nuts on my car as a test, and they were done up pretty tight (needed to get the torque wrench out to tighten them back up correctly, though)

On that reccomendation I just bought the one below it on ebay. £30 Inc delivery and 3 sockets. What could possibly go wrong ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372840852496

• Like 1