Vapour barrier

CC45

Hi,

Need to think about the vapour barrier soon - the options seem to go from Visqueen up to far more expensive Tyvek airguard etc.  The price of the latter scares me, so I'm considering using Visqueen - does anyone know of a good tape to go with it? What about tapes designed for dpm?

Thanks

CC

OK,  will that be still stuck on in a few years time??

I will mechanically fix as many of the joints as I can but still need to tape quite a few areas.  Someone has suggested Ever build tape - the stuff that's used for jointing Dpm.

It would be interesting to know what others on here have been using. Don't be shy!

Cc

I know that when I boarded my bathroom ceiling (where the new joists were pretty much bang on level), I attempted to use "proper" double sided membrane tape. It was so thick it threw the ceiling boards out where the VCL joined so I gave up and am relying on silver tape and good old mechanical compression!

The tape I used was from TP. Took the far boards down in the picture and got rid of the (black) tape.

SAM_0387

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this post due to wanting some advice on my VCL.

The attached picture shows upstairs - celotex as insulation, green VCL & the 'Tony tray' from the room below.  I'm taping all the joins when two strips of plastic overlap; horizontal battens to go on top yet - to give a services cavity.

My query is this - should I also tape the 'Tony tray' to the insulation?  I intend to tape the plastic to the floor (Siga tape used throughout) - so I'm not too sure taping the 'Tony tray' is necessary but I'd welcome you thoughts.

Cheers

CC

IMG_2282.JPG

I am doing much the same, but do not tape the VCL to the floor, cut it a bit shorter, and tape the VCL to the tony tray.

You can save quite a bit of material, the VCL only needs to come just below the top of the tony tray, say 100mm overlap.

Why horizontal battens for the service void? that will make fitting the PB a bit harder won't it? I am having vertical service void battens following each wall stud.

Hi Dave,

Going to bring green vcl down to virtually the floor (timber frame errectors were a but careless in a few places and put holes in the tony tray material, I'm happy to use a bit more vcl to get peace of mind.

Horizontal battens to minimise cold bridging, no other reason.  Like you I'm doing the lot on our build so I'm willing to spend a bit more time on the boarding.  Cant wait for that day to arrive to be honest, progress is slow when you're on your own and have a full time job as well.

Cheers for replying.

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A, er, friend of mine wanted to know what a Tony Tray is? 

Thought id ask, being a good mate and that :ph34r:

Gotcha!!! Not paying attention! http://www.tonyshouse.readinguk.org/tony.htm

Not sure Tony invented it, because this sort of wrap is pretty standard on timber constructions, though most block-built houses are just allowed to leak from what I see :)

• Like 1

My builder thankfully incorporated a tony tray, before I had even heard of it, and I am sure they would not have referred to it as such.  Another new build up here didn't and I watched slightly smug when I saw them taping the VCL around every single joist.