Wunda underfloor heating

Russell griffiths

Evening peeps. 

So I sent my plans into wunda to get a design done, knowing full well there is a £50 charge for the drawings, ok cool bananas. 

So I received an invoice and it turns out the cost has gone up to £100 refunded from your purchase. 

So am I being bent over ?

do I just pay it as their stuff is good and it’s not worth the agro running around looking for other quotes, there quote has come in £1000 cheaper than continental underfloor. 

What ya reckon @Nickfromwales @PeterW And any other knowledgeable people out there. 

Designing is easy with loopcad and you can sometimes make a decision to move the manifold for example that a supplier won’t do for you. 

I would get everything from Wunda on a list then ring and ask for a discount - add in all the auto actuators and a Wilo manifold and it’s not going to save you much elsewhere. I spoke to them at Construction Week and said they need to start doing lower temperature Esbe valves for near passive builds too. 

• Like 1

Popping into the plumbers merchants will

get you a price from Uponor / JG Speedfit if you’re lucky. Prices will be high. 
£100 to Wunda for a turnkey solution is chicken feed IMO and if they provide a design and shopping list then it removes any thinking ( and liability ) on your part. 

• Like 2

On 19/11/2019 at 00:22, BMcN said:

I had a couple of companies provide a design with their initial quote.  I think I can do better using loopcad myself to be honest.

I found cheapest was PSW Trade Supplies.

That's where most of mine came from.  The only note of caution, their manifolds came with IBO pups that I found too noisy. Solved by swapping them for Wilo,

Quick comparison for anyone who is interested.

PSW vs Wunda is £208 vs £274, that is for an IBO pump on the PSW and a Wilo on the Wunda. 

Cheapest Wilo Yonos pump I can buy today is £79, so that makes the PSW set up £287, vs £274 for the Wunda.

PSW comes with a 1 year warranty, Wunda comes with 5 years.

PSW Pex-Al-Pex is £54 per 100m, Wunda Pert-Al-Pert is £63.

So for a 300m 3 port setup, with 300m of pipe, total cost like for like (Wilo) is PSW £449, Wunda £463

And that doesn't include delivery which makes them basically the same price....

• Thanks 2

F

54 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Quick comparison for anyone who is interested.

PSW vs Wunda is £208 vs £274, that is for an IBO pump on the PSW and a Wilo on the Wunda. 

Cheapest Wilo Yonos pump I can buy today is £79, so that makes the PSW set up £287, vs £274 for the Wunda.

PSW comes with a 1 year warranty, Wunda comes with 5 years.

PSW Pex-Al-Pex is £54 per 100m, Wunda Pert-Al-Pert is £63.

So for a 300m 3 port setup, with 300m of pipe, total cost like for like (Wilo) is PSW £449, Wunda £463

And that doesn't include delivery which makes them basically the same price....

My quotes from both for comparison give very different numbers.   

PSW and Wunda quoted for Grundfos pumps, UPM3 and EuP, unsure if any different.

PSW was £38 per 100m Pex Al Pex.  Wunda Pert-Al-Pert is £63.

PSW came in at £1097 delivered for my system, this included 140 lengths of self adhesive rails.  Wunda were £1366 . Removing the pipe rails this makes Wunda £365 more expensive, not including my smaller pumpset up upstairs.

So a significant price difference on my quotes,  equivalent spec and arguably better pipe.  Only thing is the warranty but at  £365 saving its worth the risk.

Edited by BMcN

36 minutes ago, BMcN said:

So a significant price difference on my quotes,  equivalent spec and arguably better pipe.  Only thing is the warranty but at  £365 saving its worth the risk.

Is that a quote direct or off ebay..? I basically took list prices from eBay / Wunda and put them down.

Not sure on the "better pipe" comment..?? On what basis..??

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is that a quote direct or off ebay..? I basically took list prices from eBay / Wunda and put them down.

Not sure on the "better pipe" comment..?? On what basis..??

Both quotes direct from them, perhaps PSW offering large discounts on their prices quoted in Ebay. 

Pipe - just from general googling and here.   

Polyethylene pipe is polyethylene pipe ... cross linking or not is reasonably irrelevant as the temperature that non cross linking fails after testing is 92c and 10 bar for a 10 hour period - given that UFH is nowhere close to the temperature or pressure (most have blow off valves at 3 bar) then it becomes a non issue. 

The other ability to “fix” kinks in PEX is a theoretical one as it’s not that simple to do anyway. Both have the same bend radius. 

There is some benefit from PE-RT as it is slightly heavier and slightly thicker wall so is less prone to damage from standing on when empty, but it is marginal.