unbearable stench - what have I done wrong

Tin Soldier

36 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

I am smell free! 

No sh!t!

When I had a backup down to the cess pit earlier this year I found a pink toothbrush wedged just right to collect wipes etc.

I blamed the girl who denied all knowledge!

Goes without saying but baby wipes should never go down the loo, even if used to wipe bums.

If you have a bathroom bin with a lid (we have a Simple Human one) and plastic liner then they will not whiff at all.

We had a few very unpleasant blockages  - obviously some muck got into the system during the build & a wipe can seemingly get snagged on even a small pebble and back up from there.

I invested in a set of 10M drain rods (about £20) and also a 30m drain wash extension for the jet washer - it has one forward jet and 3 reverse jets.

I now like to give the whole system a good clean out once a year just for peace of mind.

33 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Goes without saying but baby wipes should never go down the loo, even if used to wipe bums.

If you have a bathroom bin with a lid (we have a Simple Human one) and plastic liner then they will not whiff at all.

We had a few very unpleasant blockages  - obviously some muck got into the system during the build & a wipe can seemingly get snagged on even a small pebble and back up from there.

I invested in a set of 10M drain rods (about £20) and also a 30m drain wash extension for the jet washer - it has one forward jet and 3 reverse jets.

I now like to give the whole system a good clean out once a year just for peace of mind.

I wouldn't bother cleaning once a year most systems last decades without problems.

Seconded about the wipes though. Even the biodegradable ones I've heard are not truly that great. 

1 minute ago, Oz07 said:

I wouldn't bother cleaning once a year most systems last decades without problems.

Seconded about the wipes though. Even the biodegradable ones I've heard are not truly that great. 

Agree - I still suspect I have a bit of gravel & grit in mine so it's a half a day a year just for peace of mind.

11 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Also why would a blocked system smell op? Does this still indicate problems with aav or something?

Possibly enough of a pressure build up behind the blockage to force gases up through a trap, or maybe even the AAV?  It probably doesn't take a lot of back pressure to allow bubbles to pass backwards through a trap.

I really hate it when people put baby wipes down the loo..... ongoing problems with this ..... I have tried every approach to stop this happening from super friendly “please don’t “  to “this is driving me fecking mad please stop putting these ffffing things down the loo......’  I am always met with a flat denial of the accusation..... god help me. And just to make it even worse every time I go to empty the compost after it has decomposed I have to fish out dozens of the bloody things.......  drives me bonkers. 

4 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

Baby wipes, bits of plaster, bits of plastic all probably places there whilst pipes were open and kids could get to them

For the baby wipes (and nappies and sanitary products ?) as has been mentioned you perhaps want one of those small stainless bins a la hotel with an entry hopper such that you do not see inside the bin. This one is about a foot high.

eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harbour-Housewares-Bathroom-litres-Toilet/dp/B01B87LXSG

I have one rental with a long slack drain, and on a couple of occasions the outside manual has been bunged up to the top with wipes. After clearing and jetting the T now simply puts nothing down there like that at all.

F

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

as has been mentioned you perhaps want one of those small stainless bins a la hotel with an entry hopper such that you do not see inside the bin.

There is one JUST like that less than 2 foot away from the bloody loo !!!! Ffs 

32 minutes ago, Cpd said:

No my mistake..... crossed wires 

No worries.

Just feeling a bit fragile today - ordering materials for a wheelchair ramp for mum, and organising care packages.

Hospital seem mainly concerned to inform me that because we are self-funders wrt to the local authority, that means we do not qualify for any intermediate care on discharge funded by NHS (which is bollocks, because you get up to 6 weeks based on a medical assessment and it is not means tested). Not a type of battle I have fought before, but I do have a relative who had a child Statemented and had years of going to assessment meetings with their County Council a paid-for Barrister at her side, and it sounds like it was a paperwork version of the Somme. She'll go through them like a bulldozer.

Have established (see other thread re: hospital bureaucracy and rules) that whilst our local hosp is much improved after a scandal of unnecessary deaths a few years ago it now appears to be run by an Accountant with an abacus. Whilst major tightening up was necessary, and given that the NHS is inevitably procedure driven so it required tighter controls, but they need to relax the arsehole a little in some areas of human contact. Tea lady on the ward said this morning that even giving a cup of tea to a visitor is bending the rules. Not cool - maybe letter required to Chief Exec, then MP. to fix the culture.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

No worries.

Just feeling s bit fragile today - ordering materials for a wheelchair ramp for mum, and organising care packages.

Hospital seem mainly concerned to inform me that because we are self-funders wrt to the local authority, that means we do not qualify for any intermediate care funded by NHS (which is bollocks, because you get up to 6 weeks based on a medical assessment and it is not means tested). Not a type of battle I have fought before, but I do have a relative who had a child Statemented and had years of going to assessment meetings with a paid-for Barrister at her side, and it sounds like a paperwork version of the Somme.

F

Yep it can be a huge fight to get your child statemented. Friends eventually managed it though up until then their daughter (off the scale problems) had been in mainstream school . The school weren't particularly supportive as they didn't want to lose them money they got for the kid who was "special" albeit not statemented. 

We had to fight like Hell ourselves to get help and only found out from the GP we could get psych help thru the school. 

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yep it can be a huge fight to get your child statemented. Friends eventually managed it though up until then their daughter (off the scale problems) had been in mainstream school . The school weren't particularly supportive as they didn't want to lose them money they got for the kid who was "special" albeit not statemented. 

We had to fight like Hell ourselves to get help and only found out from the GP we could get psych help thru the school. 

In the end they came to the view that private education would have been cheaper than getting through the process - at least for several years until the child had caught up. Child ended up in an independent school anyway for a few years due the LA school not being able to stop bullying.

F

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Incidentally.

Ode to a Plecostamus.

https://www.wattpad.com/245031034-a-book-of-themed-poetry-an-ode-to-my-dear-pleco-4

(Quite touching).

Ferdinand