Banister / balustrade - optimum height?

Weebles

We are installing the newel posts for our landing balustrade.  Need to cut them down to level.

We see that building regs require the handrail at a minimum 900mm above the floor.  But commercial premises require 1100mm.

We are interested in knowing if anyone has installed banister / balustrades (on landings, not on stairs) higher than 900mm in a residential setting.  Any views on optimum height?

Thanks

We have 1100 on our landing. Feels tall, but since it's all steel with fairly fine balusters and a thin plate handrail, it looks fine. I actually think it make the landing feel very safe.

I can't recall why we went with 1100 rather than 900. Might have been because our kids were quite young when all this was being decided, and a little bit of extra safety seemed like a good idea. There was also the fact that one bit extends above a double-height area, so it's a bloody long way down onto a concrete floor if you get it wrong!

I think mine are 1m.

I think the place to start is probably to consider the function - is one of you small, and does that feel different etc?

Is it a tight hallway where getting beds upstairs is difficult?

Plus aesthetics.

@jack You are a tall family iirc. Subliminal?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Ours is over the entrance hall - quite a fall. Kids are teenagers. But that’s not an argument for making it lower!!

No access issues as it’s along a straight section to a bedroom.

Will try at 1m and see what it looks like.....

4C815D0B-97B6-4AEE-90FC-9B6F7C6CFD0A.jpeg

Building regs basically say a banister must be 1100 high, but then goes on to say it can be only 900 high in a domestic stair and on a "landing"

So a lot of the domestic stair part manufacturers only make 900mm high components.

This caused us an issue and several months delay getting our completion certificate in the last house, as our building inspector tried to argue the galleried landing going round 3 sides of the stairwell was not a "landing" and came under "other" which required 1100mm.  That was only solved when we refused to accept his verdict so he sought clarification from the Scottish Government, who agree ours only needed to be 900mm.

1 metre high is irelevant to building regs.  It will either have to be a minimum of 900, or a minimum of 1100.  So if your BC says 900 is no good, then neither is 1M

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Building regs basically say a banister must be 1100 high, but then goes on to say it can be only 900 high in a domestic stair and on a "landing"

Mmm. Interesting. Thank you for noting this.  Think we could have an issue with the “landing” definition. Might do 1.1 just to be sure. Supplied newels (Stairbox) are plenty long enough......

We have 900mm on the stairs landing. This is governed by the newel posts supplied.  It’s overlooking the stairs.

but for the galleried landing we are going for 1100mm to be sure. Work in progress.....

736E5402-5251-47D1-B208-0B9AFD58CA98.jpeg