Fast Slab - Has anyone used this system

colin7777

Hi All,

Has anyone used the FastSlab system from CDI Innovative Construction Materials Ltd.

I have emailed them for a quote but no reply from them as yet.

I have searched on google but can not find anyone else who supplies or installs this type of fully metal Joist system.

Regards

Colin

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have looked at this for a few days then went another route, don’t see why it would be more expensive than any other method. 

I would certainly choose it over a suspended timber floor. 

Why do you need such a system. 

Hi Russell,

As we are on the Broads, we need to have piling with a steel ring beam as we need to maintain a void under the property to allow flood water to flow freely. Normally the ground floor is formed by solid timber joists or Wood/ Metal web joists, the concern I have with this solution is that you can not see what is happening to the condition of the wood and as it can not be accessed will not be able to maintain the wood and over time the whole floor will need to be replaced. I think most people take a chance and just know one day it will need doing, I'm just thinking to avoid it in the first place.

I have looked at block and beam on top of the steel ring but it adds a lot of weight and will need additional piles.

Colin

1 hour ago, Temp said:

There are similar concrete beam and insulated block systems...

http://www.tetrisfloors.co.uk/beam-and-block/

Hi,

Have looked at this solution but as the boards do not offer fire protection I would still need to put fireboards underneath, I know some say a fireboard is not needed but all the recently built properties have been made to have fireboard placed under the floor by Building Control. With the metal web solution it looks like a fireboard and then insulation could be fitted within the web area although any solution could be a pain.

Colin

i have the same ground floor build up, but for dif reasons.  We are having pile foundations, and then steel posts and steel ring beam due to the steep slope.  So thr ground floor will be .5M to 2.5M above the actual ground.  Metal web joists and fireproof board underneath has been specified.  Cant use concrete as too heavy.  Not yet sure of how we will tackle this as we too want to avoid having to replace the floor at some point.  Mind you i suppose if the joists are treated, fireproof board and a ventilation gap it should last as long as the timber walls. I guess :-) 

yep thats true, but it isnt that simple.  To add additional piles the SE needs to re-do the loading calcs, we need to re-submit BC (or an amendment), the groundworker would need to amend / change the terracing for the piles, the steels on top would need re-designing and the survey guys would need to re-do their work. And we have 41 piles for a timber frame; lots of piles to keep the steel sizes down. so some extra weight would probably add an extra half dozen piles (i guess, who knows). And steel sizes go up due to extra weight and the bad access becomes a real issue (6ft wide and steep road).  and of course i would need to get the concrete beams on site. and extra weight would probably add to the torsional pressure which has been the issue with the piles..  arrrghhh :-) 

21 hours ago, colin7777 said:

Hi Russell,

As we are on the Broads, we need to have piling with a steel ring beam as we need to maintain a void under the property to allow flood water to flow freely. Normally the ground floor is formed by solid timber joists or Wood/ Metal web joists, the concern I have with this solution is that you can not see what is happening to the condition of the wood and as it can not be accessed will not be able to maintain the wood and over time the whole floor will need to be replaced. I think most people take a chance and just know one day it will need doing, I'm just thinking to avoid it in the first place.

I have looked at block and beam on top of the steel ring but it adds a lot of weight and will need additional piles.

Colin

Metal joists are common in Australia to combat termite damage, I wouldn’t consider wood in your situation, have a look a bit further from home, we really are stuck in the past here.