External render board tip

Pocster

Well

I boarded mine ages ago . Render guy came to look today for k rend or similar .

He was not impressed with the gaps deliberately left between boards - but it was ok .

His tip for future reference is to put the boards up butt tight to each other , then just angle grind a nice neat expansion gap ! ?

Live and learn ! Hope that helps someone !!

35A71E77-C482-4684-BE8D-DBA8FD5AF8F8.jpeg

The gaps are not very even but should be fine with mesh coat and the render will fill the gaps in any case. You could have used plastic packers. I would not fancy grinding a gap - sounds messy. If this is a "proper" expansion gap going through render and board with the special bead then he may have a point but I have done some fairly large walls without.  I think horizontal expansion gaps are more important than vertical on timber frame, but you need a break in the vertical battens to match the expansion gap in the render. As yours is not multi storey I would not bother with any.

For fixing I use stainless screws.  They react less with other materials and were recommended by Bluclad and other board manufacturers.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pocster said:

Quick question !

Render board fixing screws should be zinc so don’t rust ???????

Almost all fixings in construction should be of corrosion resistant type unless it is at a point in the building where really water or dampness will be guaranteed non-existent - good luck proving that!

This is an issue with a lot of timber construction where they used cheap thin nails, they rot then the frame effectively becomes weak as the thing isn't fixed anymore!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The gaps are not very even but should be fine with mesh coat and the render will fill the gaps in any case. You could have used plastic packers. I would not fancy grinding a gap - sounds messy. If this is a "proper" expansion gap going through render and board with the special bead then he may have a point but I have done some fairly large walls without.  I think horizontal expansion gaps are more important than vertical on timber frame, but you need a break in the vertical battens to match the expansion gap in the render. As yours is not multi storey I would not bother with any.

For fixing I use stainless screws.  They react less with other materials and were recommended by Bluclad and other board manufacturers.

Yeah I think he meant if his 'chippy' had done it he'd sack him but as it's a self build and "you've got enough to do already" ....

He was confident that the boards don't expand but it is recommended by the manufacturer to have the gaps.

Yeah I 'thought' I used stainless steel but some have definitely rusted (been up maybe 1.5 years) ; so I'll replace those with new stainless steel - probably end up replacing every screw for peace of mind!!!

Cheers

44 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

If you used stainless they will only have a bit of surface rust and should not cause any problems once rendered.

Not sure now !

In panic / haste ordered some sTainless steel ones - will replace all of them so I sleep at night !! . Only take a few hours ...

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

The cheap ones that rounded off I had were from S'fix and purportedly Grade A2, not sure on the hardness though. Fit A4 316 for a start to guarantee against corrosion.

I ordered Knauf aqua panel exterior screws ( as recommended by render guy ) 

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Well

He was not impressed with the gaps deliberately left between boards - but it was ok .

His tip for future reference is to put the boards up butt tight to each other , then just angle grind a nice neat expansion gap ! ?

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Well

Pretty stupid tip 

I wouldn’t use him 

Apart from it being very slow 

Why on earth would grind or leave an expansion joint then cover it with render

Going off the picture you have posted It looks sot on to me 

Plenty of fixing  Not driven in to far 

Staggered joints

A few small gaps on the joints are not an issue The base coat and mesh will cover them without a problem

?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nod said:

Pretty stupid tip 

I wouldn’t use him 

Apart from it being very slow 

Why on earth would grind or leave an expansion joint then cover it with render

Going off the picture you have posted It looks sot on to me 

Plenty of fixing  Not driven in to far 

Staggered joints

A few small gaps on the joints are not an issue The base coat and mesh will cover them without a problem

?  

You are my new best mate @nod !! ?

Was getting bored of @Onoff anyway ?

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pocster said:

Well

The spec on mine was a gap with a dpc behind so if I had done what your render said it would have slit the dpc!!

• Like 1

If you spec your render board it will give you fixing guide. I used plastic packers as @Mr Puntersuggested. Get your first row straight and the rest will take care of itself. External corners need to be staggered corners, one long on one side and short on the next side and then do the opposite on the next row up, easy peasy lemon squeezy

• Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 21:04, AnonymousBosch said:

Keep the tips coming son!       I need every damn one of them. ?

think you will find with your durisol you don,t need anything like that ,

its so rough its pefect for render of any sort to stick too

scratch coat+finish -- job done